Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I Did It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I dont think there is enough emoticons made to express how I feel right now....Buckys rear brakes are done!!!he is now in the club of the 4 wheel disk club!! It may have taken me alittle bit longer then most people but I got it done...Bled the system out ( the old brake fluid looked cloudy) and now I have brakes again!..I stood on them hard and no lock ups just a nice smooth fast stop...I can't believe I didnt do this sooner.. Next will be new tires and front swing arm bushings ...then my next big personal hurdle will be axles.

Tommy only helped when with getting the brake lines off the old backing plate cause I was starting to round them off. Another great investment is one of those one man brake bleeder kits...so worth the $7.

I also had alittle visitor helping me ...a baby blue jay thought it would be fine to hang out and watch for a bit...I have picture of the little guy just none when he was right beside me...I will post later..guess I should make breakfast now since it is noon and clean up my mess

Thanks Everyone!!!! So here are some pics for the picture hounds:

pass side..I will fix that hole in the next few days....also this is the side I knocked the bump stop off:

BuckyBrakes010.jpg

The drivers side....disk brakes are so pretty!!

BuckyBrakes015.jpg

and this is my birdie friend who sat beside me for awhile and watched.

BuckyBrakes020.jpg

That bird shot is a fantastic capture :clap: He really does have that air of astute fascination with your work :)

The brakes came together great - I particularly like the red touch on the pads - gives it that Porsche 911 kinda feel ! :cool:

So what's involved with the swap? Can you just unbolt old and bolt up new or is there any extra finangling to be done?

Congrats on the successful "glide-to-a-stop" brake job. :headbang:

On the one-man bleeder kit - they do come in real handy. I like them so much that I made my own out of a $25 bug sprayer which pressurises and pushes the fluid through the system from the resevoir - No brake peddle pumping :)

Steve

That bird shot is a fantastic capture :clap: He really does have that air of astute fascination with your work :)

The brakes came together great - I particularly like the red touch on the pads - gives it that Porsche 911 kinda feel ! :cool:

So what's involved with the swap? Can you just unbolt old and bolt up new or is there any extra finangling to be done?

Congrats on the successful "glide-to-a-stop" brake job. :headbang:

Steve..this swap was suprisingly easy... I dont know why I was afraid to do it a long time ago...because the doner parts were from a FWD also I didnt have to swap out trailing arms cause the spindles are different sizes between FWD and 4WD.. basically...pull off your old drums,shoes and all..unhook the brake like from the backing plate...take off the backing plate..put on the new backing plate from the doner brakes..I used all the parts fromt he doner down to the wheel bearings and spacers...after the new backing plate in on add the spacer the inner bearing the new rotor the outer bearing the washer crimp ring and the nut..bolt on the new caliper hook up the break line to the caliper ( remember to bend the line out of the way..check and re check after assembly that it isnt getting pinched or hitting anything ( like the tire) bleed it all out..put on the dust cover and you are good to go. This was literally too easy to do.

And since the little blue jay is just so adorable ..here are some more:

BuckyBrakes019.jpg

BuckyBrakes013.jpg

and here was our other visitor..a big old snapping turtle..cant you tell we are both animal lovers

BuckyBrakes018.jpg

... I used all the parts fromt he doner down to the wheel bearings and spacers... ... This was literally too easy to do. ...

I Have a Question: How did the Lockers fit there... I don´t know exactly how to ask that Question, but this:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=593884#post593884

is the Link which explains How I did Changed the Washer Lockin´ System on both my Wagons, for a Lockin´ Nut.

In your Pics, I Saw a Lockin´ Nut instead of the Washer... Might be that only Older EA82´s came with Washer, and your Subie already came with Lockin´ nuts instead?

I Have a Question: How did the Lockers fit there... I don´t know exactly how to ask that Question, but this:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=593884#post593884

is the Link which explains How I did Changed the Washer Lockin´ System on both my Wagons, for a Lockin´ Nut.

In your Pics, I Saw a Lockin´ Nut instead of the Washer... Might be that only Older EA82´s came with Washer, and your Subie already came with Lockin´ nuts instead?

I did not have the lockers that you use a cotter pin for ( or a nail) .. Mine went..bearings washer crimp ring ( a easily bendable washer basically ) then the nut..there is a guide grove in the spindle and little nubs in both the washer and the crimp ring...once you have it all together and the nut torqued I took a screw driver and bent one side up on the crimp ring tight against the flat side of the nut. a couple taps with a hammer on the screw driver made it all tight..If it wasnt raining right now I could go out and pull the hub cap and the dust sheild and take a pic. This is my pic for the order of bearings and such...second from the end is a battered looking washer..thats the crimp ring.. I hope that helps some

It helps if I add the picture

BuckyBrakes003.jpg

So, Your Subie Still uses the Twistin´ Washer Lockin´ System even with Disc Brakes... Now I can imagine better the Swap Process...

Thank You! :)

Jeszek..this was so easy..I dont know why I waited...and if I ever have another EAanything with rear drum I am doing the swap..its basically..I would say an hour a side max..if everything comes apart nice. Took me awhile cause of a confidence issue ..I kept rechecking and re reading my step by step print out I had.. Who's next?? I am ready to do it again:)