Ultimate Subaru Message Board

which subaru has the biggest brakes?

2.5GL

I have a 98 Imp RS, and wondering which of the newer/newest models have the largest brake rotor/caliper for upgrading my brakes.

I have not had an opportunity to put my hands on a Tribeca or STi as of yet, but I know that the '03 O/B has a rotor about 1 inch larger than my stock ones.

I already swapped the rears for a set of '93 Legacy turbo rotors & calipers. The only advantage at this point is the venting, as the diameter is identical. "Why?" you ask? Because I had them sitting around and it only took 30 minutes...

Thanks, Lewis

If you had 17" wheels '04 sti brembo fronts would bolt on...the back would bolt on with a shoe and bracket kit from god speed racing out of UK as the drum section of sti e-brake is a bigger diameter, either that or a custom rotor that is available via aftermarket, tho' u'd still need a bracket to adapt the caliper... that would be about your biggest factory part upgrade u could put on your RS..

Kaz

indeed, the STi has some pretty monstrous 4-piston front calipers and 2 piston rears. aswell as pretty huge rotors. these will require 17" wheels to clear

other than that, WRX fronts have the same 2-piston calipers but slightly bigger rotors than your RS. these will only require 16"s

the 6-cyl outbacks have a pretty large rear rotor that is a pretty simple swap aswell.

sweet that uve got a 98rs!!!! not trying to draw you away from us but, have you checked out RS25.com??? their preety cool guys just like us here!!! and have you checked out or tried any aftermarket pads??? they improve the brakes quite a bit on the rs, but I understand the need to go bigger aswell :headbang:

I'd look into aftermarket pads if there wasn't such a problem with noise. I realize I could spend the bucks and get decent ones, but I get mine at (employee) cost from a dealership we use where I work, or if times are tight, used pads work too. Besides, I changed my first set at 98,000 front/130,000 rear :headbang: so I don't burn through 'em too quick. I am going for Subaru brakes (caliper/rotor) due to the fact that I likely won't be paying for them when we round up a parts car with the right stuff...:-p

Lewis

the 4 pot suby brakes found on 06-07 wrx's and some of the older JDM sti's would be good and they fit under the stock RS 16" wheels... (the 5 and 6 spokes but NOT the wrx split spokes)

They also fit under the 16" Forrester XT wheels.

Turbo Legacy rears and '02 USDM WRX front brakes seem to be a great combo. With the right pads they should work great for your car, plenty of heat soaking capacity. I outbrake many a car at the track because I trust them implicitly.

Any bigger and the only way they will help your braking is you'll be going slower from trying to turn such heavy butt rotors (unsprung weight baaad). IMHO of course. But if it's for show, get the biggest you can find I guess.