Ultimate Subaru Message Board

problem after replacing alternator belt

Question on 2000 Outback 5 speed. I attempted to do a simple change of the V belt for the alternator / power steering (the 5-rib belt on the left side facing the engine; not the 4-rib right side belt for alternator / AC). After changing the belt, the car started up fine. But when I took my foot off the clutch, the engine died. I cannot let the clutch out without the engine stalling! What did I do wrong? Car was running fine prior to changing the belt.

I got the belt from the dealer, same part#. When re-tightening the belt tensioner, first I tighened the 12 mm tension bolt, then I tightened down the 12 mm lock bolt.

Hi abpri and welcome! Hm, that's a weird problem. Did you move/remove any part of the plastic air intake tubing stuff or any other pieces/parts to replace the belt? If so, check carefully for any hoses or anything that may have come off. I have an '00obw too but mine's an auto....

When the car dies, does it sputter, or act like somone just shot off the ignition?

Go back and inspect everything, look for any vacume hoses or electrical connections. For the life of me i cant think of a cause and effect, except for coincidence.

nipper

thanks everyone for the suggestions, i will re-do and double check. i wanted to make sure i didn't have to do something like put the engine in top dead center prior to removing the belt, or something basic i overlooked (coming from a honda backgroud).

The engine stalls out immediately as i take my foot off the clutch with the car in neutral.

i'll double check the alternator is aligned ok when i reinstall the splash shields on the top of the belts. BTW, there is no drag on the power steering or alternator flywheel (when the belt is off).

Is the park brake stuck?

Thats a good point. There really is no reason for it to do that. Does the car lurch at all? Can you feel the clutch grab then stall? Does it happen in neutral? Can you shift through all the gears?

nipper

Thats a good point. There really is no reason for it to do that. Does the car lurch at all? Can you feel the clutch grab then stall? Does it happen in neutral? Can you shift through all the gears?

nipper

Yes, with the gear (5-speed) in netural, as i start to let out the clutch, i can feel the engine engage and the car starts to move forward(!). Then of course as the clutch engages the car starts to stall.

All i can think is i pushed the car backwards when it was in neutral (engine off, power steering belt off) and some goofy coincidence occured.

Yes, with the gear (5-speed) in netural, as i start to let out the clutch, i can feel the engine engage and the car starts to move forward(!). Then of course as the clutch engages the car starts to stall.

All i can think is i pushed the car backwards when it was in neutral (engine off, power steering belt off) and some goofy coincidence occured.

Here is a real longshot, but not uncommon. i bet you have two gears engaged at the same time. You need to get under the car and move the linkage manually to make sure everything is in neutral. it.

nipper

Here is a real longshot, but not uncommon. i bet you have two gears engaged at the same time. You need to get under the car and move the linkage manually to make sure everything is in neutral. it.

nipper

I bet 2 gears at once was the case. running thru the gears took a lot of effort to move the shifter. In fact, it got stuck in 3rd gear for a while and i couldn't get the shifter out of 3rd. i started up the car, idle sounded find, but as the clutch engaged the motor sounded bad. After backing up up 30 feet and trying various gears, i was able to let the clutch out in neutral w/o stalling the engine. Everything seems back in order.

thanks everyone for the help!