Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Going back to the good Stuff

I had a 91 Loyale and loved it as it drove me all over the country. Problem was it was a 3 speed auto and 2wd so when it presented me with a pile of problems to fix I let it go. If it was a 5 spd and 4wd I would have kept it forever. I traded it out for a 4x4 Toyota, then a 2wd 91 Honda accord. After having 4x4 in the Toyota I am going crazy in a 2wd so with gas prices what they are I think I want to go back to a subaru. I really want true 4wd and I want the Hi-lo option, so It seems as though I want a 85-89 GL (because I want a full size wagon as well)?

Before I buy i was hoping some of those with more experience in these year models could let me know if there are any chronic problems that I should look out for, what a good price is, and if there are any models or options that I should jump on if I find them. Any help would be awesome.

It would be my plan to adventually build this up, with a ozifield lift, brush bar, ralley lights, etc if that helps with any info you would give me.

Thanks

Oh... and of course if anybody has a suby wagon with hi-lo they are looking to part with let me know.

88 and 89 would be the best years to find. They will have the Fuel injected engine which is more powerful and gets better milage. It's argueably more reliable too. 85-87 many of them where carbuerated. 89 there was a "touring wagon" model made with a 3 " higher roof and 89 will have 3 point seatbelts for the rear passengers.

Of course the old ones are great too and have there advantages. 85,86 4wds had adjustable suspension that allowed it to sit pretty tall. But those struts are almost impossible to find for replacements, and most are worn out by now. So you could sit high but with crappy struts. I personally would stay away from 87's. Thats my Suberstition. It was however a "changeover" year with an odd match of old and new style parts.

Hey, thanks for the info. This is a great start. It looks like I now know that I will be looking for a GL and the years that will be best for what I want. Thanks for responding. If anybody else has more helpful information, I would love to hear.

Fuel injected is a big bonus. (But my '89 has lap belts for the rear :confused: )

The 89 3 point system has shoulder belts that come over the back seat and have to be clipped to the lap belt. Kinda like old american 2 doors that had the belt clipped up to the roof, then you had to pull it down an attach it to the lap belt. Except on a Suby they are bolted on near the cargo cover mount. Maybe someone removed them? they do get in the way of folding the rear seats up and down. The Shoulder belt mounting point is present even on the older GLs so retrofitting is possible.

Loyales(90-94) have a 3 point system that bolts in to the roof rail, and is all one piece with the lap belt. Sadly there is no mounting point on the older cars to retrofit this style to the GLs.

There are no real problems with them. Axles wear, and rebuilt ones have been rebuilt so often they don't last well, but they are cheap and easy to replace. The cam timing belts must be replaced avery 90,000 km, but they are fairly cheap and easy to replace. The cooling system is of paramount importance. A good radiator will keep the car running forever, a bad one will overheat it and kill it.

Rust is the worst problem.