Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have the opportunity to buy a 96 outback wagon with a blown HG. It has 220k on it and an auto tranny. The seller wants 500.00 for it and says it is in otherwise good shape. Any issues I should know about? Should I jump on this? I can do a HG without any trouble, so that is not an issue, Ijust want to know wht I am getting into before I make the jump.

Thanks

Car needs to be running to check for Torque bind. Does its start? What condition is it in overall. The engine is a complete unknown, so at 250.00 it would be a buy, maybe. Its hard to buy a aluminum engine car with a blown HG as so many other things can be wrong with the engine. Now if you but it with an engine swap in mind thats a bit different.

nipper

I just bought a 95 subaru legacy wagon, manual tranny w/ 247k on the clock for the same price 500 bucks about 3 weeks ago and it's my new daily driver, runs f'ing PERFECT. Don't pass up on a car with a straight body for 500 bucks even if it doesnt run and ends up being not worth a rebuild thenpart it out on ebay and make twice as much money back.

just some fruit for thought.