Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Buying another ea81... 3AT question

I'm not big on the autos at all, but I'm picking up a low mileage 84 wagon with the 3at 4wd trans in it towards the end of the month. Owner says the car runs absolutely perfect except it will no pull out in D. He has to pull out in 1, then shift to 2, and then to D.

Anything I can do to fix it quick and cheap. This will be my DD while the hatch gets a few things over the course of July and August.

It sounds like a really simple problem. You know how on a lot of older cars with column shift automatics you need to push it further than you should to get it in gear, like it's reading halfway between 2 and D? I bet it's just some sloppy linkage going on down there.

I'll have a look at it. I would think though that slop would progressively get worse. He's had the car a little over a year now I think and he said its stayed the same, but its something to look at...

I'm gonna give it the whole once over since I'll have it for a week or so before I tag and insure it...

If thats the case then i wouldnt worry about it and i would just drive it the way it is until you swap in a manual. As someone else said its probably an adjustment but if your not keeping it then why bother fiddling around with it.

Sounds like the governor to me.

My Turbo's 3AT would also do that, but only when it was cold. My solution was to ditch it for a 4spd.

Wouldn't be shifter slop. A) It doesn't sound anything at all like the problem and B) The shifter is attached via a rod, and shouldn't get any slop in it unless you've messed with the adjustment nuts.

Sounds like the governor to me.

My Turbo's 3AT would also do that, but only when it was cold. My solution was to ditch it for a 4spd.

Wouldn't be shifter slop. A) It doesn't sound anything at all like the problem and B) The shifter is attached via a rod, and shouldn't get any slop in it unless you've messed with the adjustment nuts.

Now that is what I was looking for...

Time to read the usrm...