Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ to EA Swap (wiring question)

Pooparu

For some reason I have constant power going to the fuel injectors and I can't figure out why. Even still the damn thing still will not run. Shouldn't their be a pulse of power going to the injectors instead of a constant (my theory is that the injectors are stuck in a closed position). How do I solve this? (I've already tried to change out the ecu)

Another question is: Are these ej motors prone to injector problems? When I went to the junk yard to get another set all 8 ej's that were there didn't have any injectors left. I thought that was weird.

thanks, earl bruce

Another question is: Are these ej motors prone to injector problems? When I went to the junk yard to get another set all 8 ej's that were there didn't have any injectors left. I thought that was weird.

that is weird.....I've never seen anything like that.

the injectors should be getting power all the time. the yellow wire with a red stripe should get power on all 4. the other wire pulses ground from the ECU.

is your fuel pump turning on? is it's circuit wired through the ECU?

the fuel pump circuit is the #1 indicator of whether your ECU is getting power and ground everywhere it needs to. because it doesn't matter whether the sensors or anything are working or not, if the computer is getting power where it should, it'll turn on that fuel pump relay. if that's not happening, you've got a problem in the harness somewhere.

I've got power to the fuel pump and it's pumping gas. I'm going to try a new wiring harness. The one I got was really messed up. It had a mess of bad wires and lots of butt connectors & electrical tape. It was put together by a very unreliable board member. So we'll see what happens this Friday when I install the new one.

that sounds like my harness :P I just got another one Saturday.

My previous harness had been moved twice and procrastinated and cut and spliced so much that I decided I didn't trust it.

The one I grabbed Saturday is hardly costing me any time because I'm so much more familiar with the whole process now, and I left most of the crap at the junkyard.

Yeah there should be power to the positive side of the injector at all times and there is but the ground side should not have a complete circuit unless the ECU tells it to. Meaning when I check for power across the 2 pins there shouldnt be any unless the ecu is in the middle of a pulse. And yes the fuel pump relay was working.

that is weird.....I've never seen anything like that.

the injectors should be getting power all the time. the yellow wire with a red stripe should get power on all 4. the other wire pulses ground from the ECU.

is your fuel pump turning on? is it's circuit wired through the ECU?

the fuel pump circuit is the #1 indicator of whether your ECU is getting power and ground everywhere it needs to. because it doesn't matter whether the sensors or anything are working or not, if the computer is getting power where it should, it'll turn on that fuel pump relay. if that's not happening, you've got a problem in the harness somewhere.

Well I didn't get it running today. For some reason the spark to the plugs are very sporadic. We think it's the cam positioning sensors or the coil pack. I'm going to the junkyard tomorrow to pick up the parts. First well try the coil pack and if that doesn't work well swap out the sensors. Wish me luck.

• 2 weeks later...