Ultimate Subaru Message Board

More brake questions Oh My!

When I came out from work today I noticed a puddle of brake fluid from one of Buckys rear wheels ( the infamous passanger side rear) ..I did notice that the brakes were alittle spongee this morning but I knew I needed to re-bleed anyway. Pulled my boy into the garage ( cause its raining) pulled that rear wheel and noticed that the leak is where the metal line meets the new hose to the caliper..I tried to re tighten but the metal line is just a bit too rounded now ..my question is..should I buy the tools to cut the line ..put a new connector on and re flare..or is it cheaper to just get new line OR does anyone have a good one they want to get rid of?

Going to finishe bleeding the brakes and putting on Buckys new plug wires ( he got Beck Arnleys now) see if its a plug making the knocking sound. But my fear is idler pulley ...and I have to soon start worrying about head gaskets I think:-\

I'm assuming that when you did the disc conversion you simply connected the fitting that used to go to the wheel cylinder to the rubber line for the caliper. There is another rubber line further up the swingarm that allows for the travel of the arm relative to the body. There should be a hard line in between the 2 rubber ones. about 10 inches long, going through a small hole in the trailing arm. It connects to the rubber line that comes from the body. Perhaps you can remove the line back at that junction and replace it with a new piece of bend to fit line, with connectors in place already?

I'm assuming that when you did the disc conversion you simply connected the fitting that used to go to the wheel cylinder to the rubber line for the caliper. There is another rubber line further up the swingarm that allows for the travel of the arm relative to the body. There should be a hard line in between the 2 rubber ones. about 10 inches long, going through a small hole in the trailing arm. It connects to the rubber line that comes from the body. Perhaps you can remove the line back at that junction and replace it with a new piece of bend to fit line, with connectors in place already?

Its that 10 inch piece of hard line that has the rounded off connector that wont allow it to tighten up to the hose to the caliper.. I have had that piece removed already ( I know about where it connects back behind the trailing arm)...Thats what I was talking about ..either replacing it or taking it odd ..cutting it adding a new connector and re flanging it. For now ..thanks to the help of trust vise grips I have the leak slowed drastically.

My new concern is my drivers side axle and my engine knock :-\..and trying to make it so I dont have to hear Tommy asking whats going to be next on these cars ( got into it last night about them)

Just tell him to wait until his car is around 20yrs old and in the 200Kmi range. We'll see how many problems he has to deal with then:mad:

Once the major issues are cleared up, your car should be on a regular maintenance schedule.

Its that 10 inch piece of hard line that has the rounded off connector that wont allow it to tighten up to the hose to the caliper.. I have had that piece removed already ( I know about where it connects back behind the trailing arm)...Thats what I was talking about ..either replacing it or taking it odd ..cutting it adding a new connector and re flanging it.

Is the fitting on the rubber line stripped? If not then just replace that 10 inch piece with a new line with the fittings on both ends already. I don't think yuo'll have much luck trying to cut/flare and refit. It really needs to be a double fold on the flare to compress and seal correct. The simple flare kits you buy at auto parts stores are not capable of this type of *bubble* flare.

A piece of brake line should only cost about $5 bucks and will have the fittings on both ends already. It's easily bent by hand to fit. It's made to bend without crimping.

I took Buck out today and kept checking the fluid and seems for now I have the leak nipped in the bud..I still want to replace that line at some point soon...next big thing is going to be axles and tires..and idler pully and new throw out bearing...and hope the head gaskets dont go anytime soon ( after lots of reading appears on average the gaskets go around the 200K mark:-\ ) I just dont need to hear any more whining about "whats next" from the other half.But I am sure when delving into the other problems I will find more