Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Legacy: replacing only the glass in my driver side mirror

I just don't want to do anything stupid here. Before I start trying to pry off the cracked glass (which I'm a little nervous about), I'm hoping maybe someone here has done this already.

Do I need to remove the whole mirror? I do have the replacement glass, it came with two pieces of double-sided foam tape. If the cracked glass is held on like that then it shouldn't be too difficult to get off, I would think.

Also, I ordered the NON-heated glass, however what they sent me definitely has a heating coil & two electrical contacts on the back. Maybe I'll get lucky and see some wires inside my mirror to connect to them (AFAIK I *don't* have a heated mirror). Thanks for any assistance!

probalby best to remove the old glass and glue if you can. to remove glued/taped items, you can put them in the oven and heat them up. usually comes right off then. can't say if the heat will hurt the paint, i can't imagine that it would, you don't need to make it all that hot to soften the tap/glue.

The existing cracked glass is set into the mirror housing and has what looks like a rubber bezel around it. Probably not wise to just glue/tape on top of it, although to be honest I really just need to pass inspection (the existing mirror works enough for me to rely on it, just a single crack going down the middle).

>>to remove glued/taped items, you can put them in the oven and heat them up. usually comes right off then.<<

Which means I'll be removing the entire mirror and putting it in the oven? I'm not sure I want to do that. I wonder if there's some kind of solvent I can squirt behind the old glass, then just pry it off. Or maybe just break it completely?

Just use a heat gun, they're like $10 at harbor freight. (Or use the wife's or gf's hair dryer, but don't do it when they're home and don't get any grease on it).

91039AC090 MIRROR GLASS ONLY, LEFT SIDE FOR 1995 LEGACY (non heated) MSRP $31

Thanks, I'll fire up the hair dryer tomorrow.

BTW I found my glass for $27 at subarupartsforyou.com. Like I said, though, it appears they made a mistake and sent me the heated glass -- or maybe they just substituted it.