Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK, here's the long and the short of it. First off, the car is a 98 Legacy L sedan. Second, I have no real knowledge about what this car can/can't/will/won't do, other than the normal 'ru stuff. I know what would most likely happen if the events occurred in my GL-10, but new gen isn't a strong point for me.

What happened:

There's a not too steep hill near where we live, and because the idiots that designed the road system are, well, idiots, the speed changes from 35 at the top of the hill to 25 just far enough down to make you mad. Normally, my wife or myself down-shift and ease whichever car gently to 25 and it stays there, no worries. Unfortunately, my wife accidentally put her poor Legacy into reverse. :eek: The car shut off and continued on its way down the hill. She eventually got it under control and restarted and drove home. :clap:

She says there's nothing noticeable wrong with it and I told her to take to a mechanic (mostly because I haven't a clue (again, new gen = bad juju for me), and because I'm on the other side of the state at the moment).

Now the question:

Is this a control interlock that prevents damage/saves the tranny/engine, or was it a lucky break that may have saved it? And, more importantly, should a mechanic look at it, or should I (with your help) and if so, what to look for?

Thanks ever so much for your time, again. :headbang::grin:

Mayhap one day I'll have something to teach you :banana:

There is usually a spring lockout of some kind that prevents the shifter from doing that. Its usualy the push over and down for reverse kind of thing or requires a little more force then shifitng through the tree.

i dont know if subaru does that in the modern soobies.

Good news is that she didnt do any real damage. Worst thing i can think of is maybe a damaged motor mount. The engine itself can run backwards and no real harm will be done.

She could have done more damage by blowing a downshift. I do agree with changing the fluids to make sure no metal parts come out.

The clutch could possibly be damaged (the disc itself) but that would have been obvious. If the timing belt was weak the car would have jumped time.

nipper

er um WOW

You can move the shifter between R->N->D without pushing the button going down. YOU can move D->N<-D without pushing the button. You cant move into reverse without pushing the button. You cant downshift from D without pushing the button. You can upshiftg from 1->2->3 to D without pushing the button.

Normally automatics have some sort of valving in them to prevent all hell from breaking lose when they are accidently shifted into reverse (subarus may not, others may not. It may have been done away with in interest of weight savings).

The lockout exists. The lockout was defeated by pushing the button. Unless the button is broken ( a possability ) there is nothing you can do.

Be thankful She didnt find park.

nipper

I accidently shifted my friend's 92ish toyota celica automatic into reverse while going 40 or so. It may a loud bang of sorts and gave a good jolt. Then I quickly put it back in drive. I pushed it from 3rd to D and it went easier than I expected it to so it shot right through D, N and into reverse. It seemed fine after that.

I can't find it off hand but I know I saw in the 4EAT literature (can't remember if phase I or phase II) that there is a reverse inhibit valve in the valve body. It prevents reverse above something like greater than 8mph so there should be no damage done. When you say the vehicle shut off, do you mean it stalled?

Unless the button is broken ( a possability ) there is nothing you can do.-- she went D-N-R vice D-3-2 (the normal), nothing was broken to allow that

hen you say the vehicle shut off, do you mean it stalled?-- unfortunately, I was not present to see or anything, so all I know is that it went into R, the motor turned off/stalled/whatever, then she recovered and drove home; and thats all I really know.

My guess is that there is some gumming up of the works in the tranny due to the age/condition of the tranny fluid. This caused the inhibitor valve to lag long enough to stall the engine and give a (un)healthy jolt. the inhibitor valve is the second stage defense against this incidence. the first is the button on the shifter, which needs to be looked at. As for the insides of the tranny, a good flush and fresh fluid is indicated. I do not suspect that any serious damage was caused by this incident. I would be more concerned if the car stopped completely and drove badly after that. It does not sound like anything that serious happened.

Follow up question: Is the car behaving normally now? If not, what has changed.