Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My starter went, it either does not crank or when it does it will not stop spinning when the engine is on (sounds like hell broke loose). I went to Peps and picked one up for 75 bucks. Does anyone have the torque specs for the mounting bolts? I am thinking 60 pounds

It took 90 minutes to swap the starter out. Total cost was 80 dollars. Does anyone know what it would have cost at a dealer? I like to know what I saved.
Probably something to the tune of $300 or more. $180 for the starter and at least 2 hours for labor at $70+ an hour.

It took 90 minutes to swap the starter out. Total cost was 80 dollars. Does anyone know what it would have cost at a dealer? I like to know what I saved.

90 minutes :eek: Do you have a Turbo and TMIC? The starter should be a half hour job. It's soo easy to get to on a non turbo car.

Also, the dealer in Reading charges $80 an hour labor, so I'd say you saved about $100-$120 between labor and the part probably costing $120-$140 at the dealer.