Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Please help? Got ripped off on ebay!

hi, im from cherokee nc, and yeah if someone knows were i can get one of these trannys let me know, Thanks for all the responses, i dont feel so bad about it now, its amazing what a few good comments and a good nights sleep will do for ya...I hauled a couple loads to the dump today and it didnt seem any worse so i guess i try to fix it....Did some brats come with factory undercoating? the reason i ask is that i was under it and it looked all rusty and i thought "great" but it has a thick undercoating of like tar or rubber...

-GwyNative

Hello and welcome to the world of old Brats. Popping out of gear is not good but may be unrelated to the grinding noise. I would check for stripped splines on the front hubs and axle stubs along with making sure they are torque down hard when reinstalled. On wheel bearings it has been my experience that the typical wheel off the ground check is not accurate. The driver side went out on my Brat and there was no noticeable shake top to bottom. There was a far amount of vibration in the 35-45 mph zone and some grinding noise. They had been replaced about 9 years ago so it took me a little while to figure it out. I have not looked at your Brat but can say this much, a solid body Brat for sale is getting fairly rare and mine isn't going for sale anytime soon. Keep a check on the rust as I assume they still salt the roads in the NC mountains. If you need a another transmission big deal, sounds like the concenses is you still have a good deal. You may also consider the 5 speed conversion if the other transmission doesn't pan out. But do check your splines!

Hey kiddo... you did good. Mine did that shortly after I bought it, it was some pinion-thingy, yes it'll run with it broken. A low-miles tranny should only run you about $150, then install it yourself, there are plenty of people with tips and tricks to help you here.

I still don't regret my purchase which was WAAAAAY more than you paid. I have replaced everything possible in the car since I have owned it, but quite frankly it's among the rarest vehicles at shows and cruise nights... contemporaries remember them when they see it but forgot about them because they haven't seen one in years... they always bring back fond memories... oh... the stories they tell me!

I just sunk a butt-load of bucks and TIME into the body to restore it back to original. There's no way on earth I could recoup every drop of blood, sweat, tears and dollars I spent on this BRAT, but then again, it's not for sale... remember an old car is like stocks, you can only lose money if you sell.

Enjoy!

Seehag I know exactly what you are saying. I have had mine 10 years and have replaced some minor parts twice ( wheel bearings, axles, clutch cables). But the overall reliability considering the age is outstanding.

GWYNATIVE I have to agree with ChiefTim, you got a good deal after reading the add and seeing it.

I didn't read through all of the posts so I am sorry if somebody has said this, I would almost bet on the sound being the throw-out bearing since he can still hear it with the hood open, standing outside the car with it running. Not everybody is smart enough to replace it when they put in a clutch.

Nice Brat wish mine looked that good when I got it, and yes you did get a deal, at least where im from.

I don't think it is a throwout bearing. It should squeal or screech when the pedal is pressed. If you can hear it outside the car without touching the pedal it would be one of the most wornout throwout bearings ever.

You obviously havent heard the one in my Loyale then :) ..How do I know its my throw out bearing making the noise?? when we put a new clutch in 2 years ago they gave me the wrong bearing..I had no choice but to put the old one back in...and the old one had just shy 200 K on it. Makes all sorts of noise;)