Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've recently finished up a 97 Outback EJ22 Swap and new Auto Tranny.

I've driven it and it runs and drives absolutely perfect until I put the alternator/Power steering belt on, then the pump starts whinning and the fluid gets extremely hot in the tank, I have taken both lines off, the fluid is getting down to the rack but it is not returning to the power steering pump/tank. The retun line I also checked and is not plugged or kinked of any sort. For some reason the rack isnt letting any fluid pass into/through it and I have Zero power assist, could it be the rack is bad? It is not leaking at all and like I said earlier without the belt on the car run and drives/steers absolutely perfect so does anybody know whats going on?

Thanks in advance, I have this car sold to a friend of mine and I need to get it fixed.

~Tim

Hello and welcome! Hm...when you say it drives fine, do you mean you drove it without the belt on the PS pump?

Was the rack bleed through? You know like turning the wheels lock to lock jacked up etc there is some procedure in the manual. Once when trying to flush a unit and driving the pump with a cordless drill, it would not take any fluid for some reason. When I turned the steering wheel a couple times, then it started working...

Can you blow compressed air through the supply line to see if anything comes out the return line? The lines aren't somehow reversed at the pipes?

The squealing sound is probably the pump's internal pressure relief valve opening, which I think is around 800-1000psig.

i would turn it lock to lock a number of times, i would bet that works. if not, then try the bleeding procedure. make sure none of the lines are clogged. just turning the wheel puts significant pressure on the fluid and should get things moving.

Hi everyone thanks for getting back to me, sorry it has taken me so long to reply, its actually 3:52 am and I just got home from working out in the garage.

To start, i have tried everything, the lines are not reversed,they are hooked up properly to the pump, When i say it drives fine, i mean it drives fine without the belt on.

I have jacked it up and tried to bleed the system MANY times by turning the wheel back and forth (lock to lock) multiple times, hundreds of times probably (i've spent forever on this thing)

Tried adding fluid while turning the wheel until it fills it up and when you keep turning the wheel it just blows out of the tank and spills everywhere.

I also tried the blowing air through the lines and neither one of them does anything it will not blow through. The lines (At least down to the rack are not clogged) I checked them by loosening them and seeing if fluid pumped out and it did.

I'm at a loss, how can a perfectly good steering rack that had worked fine, just instantly go bad like this?

Anythign else I should be checking?

Thanks for the help guys, I aqppreciate it, this thing has me stumped.

~tim

what exactly is it doing? when you assemble everything does the fluid leak anywhere? the power steering just doesn't work? does it make any noises? turn the wheel with the cap off the reservoir to keep it from blowing out.

when you unbolted the power steering line from the pump did you reinstall the spring and banjo bolt properly? you disconnected the line at the pump didn't you?