Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm making the jump from the Older Soobie forum to the New Generation Soobie forum. I'm picking up my '95 Outback next week. It's in great shape, especially for this part of the Rust-Belt, and at the moment needs a Knock Sensor, and a rear-wiper arm, and I'm gonna throw new rubber all the way around. Tires are okay, all the same size. but there are 3 brands. The previous owner doesn't recall when the timing belts were last changed, but recalls that they were. So I'm going to assume EVERYTHING needs to be done, and do a FULL Maintenance on it first thing. Anyone that has any insight to easy Mods, or Tips/Tricks/Etc... I'd be glad to hear them! I'll post pics next week. Looking forward to the 5 lug wheels!!! :banana:

Tony

Should be no HG issues to worry about (at least not like the 2.5L phase I). '95 Outback should have the 2.2L, which many argue in '95 was one of the most durable engines Subaru ever made.

cars101.com:

1995: The first Outback is a 1995 Legacy L wagon with special trim. This 1995 model is not the Outback as we know it. The all new Outback was an 'Active Safety Group' all wheel drive Legacy L wagon with the 2.2 liter engine,

I'd definitely change out all fluids and filters. Should be a solid vehicle.

Is it an AT or MT? Does it show any signs of torque bind?

edit: oh yes, if 2.2L, in '95 that is non-interference, so even if the timing belt snaps you may be stranded but engine should be OK.

Should be no HG issues to worry about (at least not like the 2.5L phase I). '95 Outback should have the 2.2L, which many argue in '95 was one of the most durable engines Subaru ever made.

cars101.com:

1995: The first Outback is a 1995 Legacy L wagon with special trim. This 1995 model is not the Outback as we know it. The all new Outback was an 'Active Safety Group' all wheel drive Legacy L wagon with the 2.2 liter engine,

I'd definitely change out all fluids and filters. Should be a solid vehicle.

Is it an AT or MT? Does it show any signs of torque bind?

edit: oh yes, if 2.2L, in '95 that is non-interference, so even if the timing belt snaps you may be stranded but engine should be OK.

Yes, everything I've read says that the 95 & 96 Outbacks are the ones to go with because of the non-interferance head. I don't really like the Mini-SUV look, so I went 95 over 96. It is an Auto, and it drives like a dream! No torque-binding noticed. At least not like my Loyale had in 4WD on dry pavement! That was PAINFUL!!!

Looking forward to posting about my new adventures, even if they should include a head gasket...:Flame:

Thanks for the Warm Welcome,

Fat Tony

Sounds good! Say, how many miles are on it?

An add-on ATF filter in the cooler line might help keep the AT happy for a long time with fresh fluid (something like a magnefine is easy to add inline). Or there are the Subaru kits for the early 90's models too.

I was making more of a comparison of the "older gen" forum and the "new gen" forums. (C'mon, you have to admit, there is always a thread -- or two -- on the first page where someone is cussing their HGs; maybe the moderators should creat a separate forum only for 2.5l headgaskets :grin:).

I sincerely hope you have no problems of the sort, Anthenium, and you probably won't with a 2.2L -- but it has happened (to me :dead: on a Legacy I probably bought with the HGs already blown. It may have actually been worth it for the crash course in EJ22s and for helping me find the USMB!)

Good luck with the OB

Sounds good! Say, how many miles are on it?

An add-on ATF filter in the cooler line might help keep the AT happy for a long time with fresh fluid (something like a magnefine is easy to add inline). Or there are the Subaru kits for the early 90's models too.

She's got almost 150K. Hardly broken in! Just a hint of rust in the usual places.

Sounds like a Good Idea! I won't be abusing the BanditWagon much, but these long, straight, Flat, boring michigan roads are ROUGHER than a lot of off-road I've seen out west.

Stock tire size is 195-60-15. Anyone ever go to 205, or even 225-60'd? Might soften the Crater-Effect on 8-Mile rd....

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update (to myself mostly)

1995 Outback - MI LicPlate "SOOBIE"

131,000 miles

24 MPG W/CEL

DONE:

Changed all fluids & filters, Cleaned MAF.

4 new Kelly Gold Touring tires 195-60-15

Front-end aligned

Touched up minor rust with POR-15

NEEDS:

Check Engine Light cleared (OBD-II scanner on order)

Timing Belts & accessable seals changed (August time frame)

Stereo W/CD player (July!)

Rear area cover (Minor detail)

Comments:

I'm REALLY liking this car. I cleared the codes by taking the battery off over-night. It runs REALLY good while the CEL is off. I was told that it is the Knock Sensor triggering it. I removed it, cleaned the contacts, and re-installed it. Lasted about 100 miles before triggering again. I've ordered an OBD-II reader. I'll wait for that to get here and work these issues out. I just have to re-set my clock every morning that I have to clear codes. Minor PITA...

But this is one Cool SuBaRu!!! Much better than my Loyale.:headbang:

Fat Tony

No, but SURPRISINGLY it was almost new. The last owner did a tune-up, including new plugs, wires, and even MORE surprising, PCV valve less than a year ago. Fuel filter too...New brake pads & rotors too.

Thanks for the input,

Fat Tony

change the ATF , you won't regret it.

Oh I did!!! It was HORRID! I thought someone had dumped Gear Oil in an AT! It took 1 cup short of a FULL gallon to re-fill. The fluid went from the color of a Stout Beer, to Faygo Red-Pop! Not quite Pink, but Reddish, and transparent. It was shifting good before, and I don't notice much of a difference. But I feel BETTER. I changed the Dif & the rear axel as well. Replaced with GL-5 75-90 weight gear oil. It gets as low as -10F in the winter here, and will flirt with 100F in the summer.

I haven't flushed the radiator, but the coolant looks nice & Green, and the temp gauge stays horizontal once warmed up.

Timing Belt is the next BIG job. I need to pay off my tires first...:-p

Thanks for all the input. Keep it coming!

Fat Tony

p.s. What is a GOOD <$200 stereo for these cars? I have cassette, I NEED CD, and MP3 would be nice!

It took 1 cup short of a FULL gallon to re-fill.

it holds more than that, i can't remember how much, maybe another 3 qts. change it again in a few thousand miles, each time will reduce the amount of old. and maybe help clean out some crud. 95 and 96 AWD units tend ot 'gum' up if the fluid isn't changed, then torque bind.

Sounds good! Yes change the ATF a few more times over the course of the next thousand miles. You only get about half the fluid via the drain plug. Try to stick with the same brand&type each time.

When you do the coolant, at the least avoid any OAT types (gm dexcool and certain all makes/all models coolants). And treat yourself to a new thermostat.

I'm sure a walk through the nearest best buy or similar place would have a selection of decent stereos under $200.

Research a decent radio that goes for $200-350. Buy brand new with warranty from a e-bay store for ~$200 shipped to your house. Enjoy. :)

I personally prefer Panasonic.

And mounts can make the car feel much more solid. New Tranny mount, engine mount, steering rack bushings, metal sway bar endlinks can make the car feel much more solid in the turns. And a rear or front bigger swaybar will make the car turn much nicer! :)

it holds more than that, i can't remember how much, maybe another 3 qts. change it again in a few thousand miles, each time will reduce the amount of old. and maybe help clean out some crud. 95 and 96 AWD units tend ot 'gum' up if the fluid isn't changed, then torque bind.

Sounds like GREAT advice. I'll probably do a Tranny PURGE before Winter, and make sure it's all New fluids. Tranny shifts Very Crisp from 1 to 2, and smoth from 2-3 & 3-4.

Fat Tony

Changed the Knock Sensor last night. Despite some minor burns, and a nice cut on my thumb, it is a HUGE success! Car runs so much better. To celebrate I took my dog to the Park. There are some "Rally-Grade" twisties I know of there. I drove the course once to look for obsticles, and the next 3 times I just went for it! I THINK the dog is getting the Hang of this AWD-Drifting!:headbang:

Next project, Radio/CD-Player!

Fat Tony - 95 Outback

• 1 month later...

New Radio installed! It even let's me plug in my USB jump-drive with MP3's. Not to mention Home-Made CD's, with MP3s, HD & Sattelite ready, etc...$200@Micky Shorr's, Money-Bags!

Also added a good Radar/Laser detector. It has a weather & emergency vehicle warning channel. If an emergency vehicle is within range, a Bright S is displayed, and it makes an English siren sound. I guess if I was CRANKING MegaDeth at 96+ dB's, it might help to know a Fire Truck was cruising at Mach .2 nearby. $75, including Hardwiring it in!

To top it all off, I have my Winter Tires ready! I picked up a set of 15" Alloys from a fellow USMBer (Thanks Bryce!), and then putted off to Flint where I scored a set of NEVER Installed 195/60/15 Blizzaks for a cool $100. After installation I'm in for $208. I hope we get POUNDED This winter!:headbang:

Damn! It's time to change the oil/Tranny fluid again! And rotate tires...I have 5K miles on this Soobie already!

Fat Tony

New Radio installed! It even let's me plug in my USB jump-drive with MP3's. Not to mention Home-Made CD's, with MP3s, HD & Sattelite ready, etc...$200@Micky Shorr's, Money-Bags!

Awesome, its crazy how far radios have come since I last bought one 4 years ago...

Excellent find on the winter wheels/tires, too. :cool:

I hope you relize that there isnt going to be any snow in your area this winter jut because you bought thoese tires. It will be just like when my dad bought his snow blower, i think it snowed 2 inches once that winter.

:dead: Then I'll use my last 3 vacation days and go to Minnesota! :eek:

Fat Tony