Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi All,

I get a squeeking/whistleing noise when going straight or turning left. Its like when the wheel reaches a certain point in rotation it gives a split second sound and as I increase speed (rotation) so too does the noise to the point that it almost becomes continous. No noise when turning right.

I had 2 new tires of same spec fitted on front recently & only really noticed noise since then.

Any suggestions its a 04 Impreza WRX AWD.

Neil

post-9749-136027623199_thumb.png

Do you think one of the tires is rubbing for some reason? I had this happen with new tires on the '00obw and it was some plastic piece in the wheel trim stuck out a little further on one side and made a weird squeak only sometimes.

As you probably already know all the tires (your new front and the existing rear) should all be within 1/4" circumference of each other or it can cause AWD issues.

Do you think one of the tires is rubbing for some reason? I had this happen with new tires on the '00obw and it was some plastic piece in the wheel trim stuck out a little further on one side and made a weird squeak only sometimes.

As you probably already know all the tires (your new front and the existing rear) should all be within 1/4" circumference of each other or it can cause AWD issues.

thanks for reply. I can't see anything obvious that may be rubbing initially i thought(hoped) this was it.

do you mean tire depth & spec should be the same?

My rear tires were changed 4 wks earlier - budget makes for only 2 per paycheque!

Neil

Well yes, ideally, all tires make/model/size would be the same. The real issue is that they all be within 1/4" circumference of each other. Subaru says to check that with the tire off the ground using a narrow tape measure. There's an article on EndWrench I can look up the link if you'd like.

And if you do that, while you have the wheel off the ground, check for any wheel bearing freeplay or noise when turning. Not sure I've heard of wheel bearings making the noise you described, but it's a very quick&easy thing to check any time the wheel is off the ground. (Assuming the wheel isn't off the ground because you're doing one of those rally style jumps we've been reading about...)

Well yes, ideally, all tires make/model/size would be the same. The real issue is that they all be within 1/4" circumference of each other. Subaru says to check that with the tire off the ground using a narrow tape measure. There's an article on EndWrench I can look up the link if you'd like.

And if you do that, while you have the wheel off the ground, check for any wheel bearing freeplay or noise when turning. Not sure I've heard of wheel bearings making the noise you described, but it's a very quick&easy thing to check any time the wheel is off the ground. (Assuming the wheel isn't off the ground because you're doing one of those rally style jumps we've been reading about...)

Thanks so much for clarifiny that. I'll have a look tomorrow weather permitting.

Neil