Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just acquired a 1996 Subaru Legacy L Sedan AWD (manual) with 163,000 miles. I paid $2400 for it. I know it might seem kinda high, but it's in super clean shape. The previous owner just had the timing belt and clutch replaced recently. I'm very impressed with the ride...I mean it's nothing fancy, but it still feels sporty with the 5 spd. Anything I should look out for with these cars? It has the 2.2 which I've heard are pretty reliable. My goal is to baby this car and make it last until at least 250,000 miles.

Looking forward to learning a bunch from all of you. Take care!

T/C

P.S. Any other Legacy owners out here in the Inland Northwest??

Hi. Good buy. The price seems good to me. That year is pretty solid. 2.2L engine is very durable. There aren't really aren't many issues with that year. Of course any vehicle needs and likes its regular maintenance, fluids, filters, etc.

The most common things would be (a) torque bind, don't want any wheel hopping/studdering/jumping when making tight turns in a dry parking lot. Make sure all tires match and are the same circumference or it may cause AWD issues.

Another thing I've seen a few posts on and had happen myself on a '96 is the engine coolant temp sensor. Sometimes you will get a CEL for it. Other times it starts causing cold start problems.

Hi. Good buy. The price seems good to me. That year is pretty solid. 2.2L engine is very durable. There aren't really aren't many issues with that year. Of course any vehicle needs and likes its regular maintenance, fluids, filters, etc.

The most common things would be (a) torque bind, don't want any wheel hopping/studdering/jumping when making tight turns in a dry parking lot. Make sure all tires match and are the same circumference or it may cause AWD issues.

Another thing I've seen a few posts on and had happen myself on a '96 is the engine coolant temp sensor. Sometimes you will get a CEL for it. Other times it starts causing cold start problems.

Good to know. Thanks for the reply!