Ultimate Subaru Message Board

REAL dilema........

sub_speed_559

ok ok.......now i have had my second ea82t wagon for about 3 months.....it has cost me over 800 in just parts......now should i......:

1. keep it and swap with a ej20tt for 1299$

2. sell it for like 1800 and take my losses

3. or keep it and drive it like it is.....

i am posting this because my girlfriend doesn't understand how subaru's grow on us sooooooo much and she wants me to decide what i am going to do with it.....i would still love to do the swap, fender flares, drop, body kit, 5-lug, and all kinda stuff but i need a few ppl to help me decide......

well if you search the board and read "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell, you'll understand that a twin turbo setup in a stock form is not going to fit and wil create the same amount of power. Plus, trying to get everything for it to run flawlessly is going to be more difficult to do compared to a single turbo EJ20.

Now if its completely stock and you plan on driving it like a granny, then a stock EA82T is fine BUT if you want to get more power out of the EA82T, it'll make more power if you drop it from the Empire State Building. Unless you have a good amount of $$$ (roughly $6k or so) then an EA82T build IS possible but you risk blowing engines, making mistakes which result in a blown engine, etc. The best option is to swap in an EJ20 of some kind or a NA EJ. Perfomance parts are readily available, all the parts for swaps are going for a pretty decent price, and there's a few people on here that have done an EJ turbo swap, like Suberdave (2) for instance. So if power and reliability are your wants, then thats the best option for the money.

i wouldnt say about $6k, if you have a good crank, block and heads, it shouldnt be much more than $2500 for parts and machine work. ive been chasing an ea82t build for a while but always have something come up when i am about to start, like cancer in my case. but all the research ive done thus far, if you do the assembly yourself and run megasquirt, it should run about $2500 with a good machine shop doing the work needed to the block and heads. granted, with any shop you look at, there will be fluctuations in the pricing, it also depends on what you are planning to have done. my machine shop gave me a quote of about $1200 for the work i want done on mine. the rest of the cost i figured was in parts, forged pistons, stainless valves and high performance springs, delta cams, better head gaskets, and new bearing. there are a few other parts that were on my list, but im being lazy right now.

for $6k, i would have my car just about done, top to bottom, that would includerust repair, roll cage, suspension upgrades, ect...

Now if its completely stock and you plan on driving it like a granny, then a stock EA82T is fine BUT if you want to get more power out of the EA82T, it'll make more power if you drop it from the Empire State Building. Unless you have a good amount of $$$ (roughly $6k or so) then an EA82T build IS possible but you risk blowing engines, making mistakes which result in a blown engine, etc. The best option is to swap in an EJ20 of some kind or a NA EJ. Perfomance parts are readily available, all the parts for swaps are going for a pretty decent price, and there's a few people on here that have done an EJ turbo swap, like Suberdave (2) for instance. So if power and reliability are your wants, then thats the best option for the money.

ok ok.......now i have had my second ea82t wagon for about 3 months.....it has cost me over 800 in just parts......now should i......:

1. keep it and swap with a ej20tt for 1299$

2. sell it for like 1800 and take my losses

3. or keep it and drive it like it is.....

i am posting this because my girlfriend doesn't understand how subaru's grow on us sooooooo much and she wants me to decide what i am going to do with it.....i would still love to do the swap, fender flares, drop, body kit, 5-lug, and all kinda stuff but i need a few ppl to help me decide......

Sell yours and buy mine. :)

It already has the 5 lug, RX kit, Coilovers and WRX wheels.And a bunch of other crap(I'm sure theres a mod list around here somewhere). Plus an EA82T that pukes oil from an unknown place :lol: (I haven't really looked at it yet to determine whats up)

this isn't about the car, what about that girlfriend. why is she telling you what to do? if she doesn't understand your hobby then she needs to learn or you need to move on with girlfriends, not cars!! let wise financial decisions drive your decision here...not her, not a car addiction and not us. if you're financially set and throwing money at a car isn't a big deal, then do what you want, (not what she wants). if finances are a concern then make the best decision you can now...you'll thank yourself later. don't let vehicles financially strap you, that's a bad strategy for success. make good decisions NOW and you'll be able to do what you want LATER. EA82's can be good, reliable vehicles and are an excellent choice for saving cash. if not...then you'll never really be able to do what you want. either way, don't let her make decisions for you, period. it's not about being mean, stubborn and macho about it, but someone who cares will like the fact that you enjoy hobbies and support you in them, assuming those hobbies don't run your life of course.

now its not the fact that she is trippin on my hobby, its just that we spent 9000 on my ducati and now over 2000 on my subie. she remembers my spfi 88 i had before and just doesn't want me to get rid of this one after so much time and money.....my last one i have over 1900 worth of things done to it a month before the block blew on me. but i have decided to keep it as long as i can get the damn thing to quit knocking so bad.....so thnx for the input