Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Removing hoses on an ea81

I am looking to get rid of unessacary hoses from my ea81 with hydro heads. I have am running the weber so i have no need for emission components. I've seen a picture a while back from qman of a clean engine, but that was years ago.

thanks

Start by looking at what you do need.

1.The vacuume advance that runs from your disty to the front of the weber.

2.The large hose that runs from the manifold to the break booster.

3.a smaller hose that runs from the manifold to the firewall on the passenger side (for the heater controls).

4. the switched hot wire for your choke (if it's electric).

If it's not one of those it can be removed.

I like to remove the intake so i can remove the hard lines under the intake, also i remove the egr valve and put a plate in it's place and use brass plugs to cap the egr pipe in the head.

Less is more, i like simple setups, easyer to work on.

~CHIM~

I like to remove the intake so i can remove the hard lines under the intake, also i remove the egr valve and put a plate in it's place and use brass plugs to cap the egr pipe in the head.

~CHIM~

I agree removing the hard lines from the intake would make it look nicer but i was lazy when i did my weber swap. The only thing i cant understand is why everyone does away with the EGR valve? Doesnt it do way more good than harm with it lowering the cylinder tempertures? I left mine on since it was still in good working order.

I agree removing the hard lines from the intake would make it look nicer but i was lazy when i did my weber swap. The only thing i cant understand is why everyone does away with the EGR valve? Doesnt it do way more good than harm with it lowering the cylinder tempertures? I left mine on since it was still in good working order.

Early EGR systems were relatively unsophisticated, utilizing manifold vacuum as the only input to an on/off EGR valve; reduced performance and/or drivability were common side-effects. However, modern systems utilizing electronic engine control computers. multiple control inputs, and servo-driven EGR valves typically improve performance/efficiency with no impact on drivability. In the past, a meaningful fraction of car owners disconnected their EGR systems. Some still do either because they know EGR reduces power output, causes a build-up in the intake manifold in diesel engines, or know that the environmental impact of EGR's outweigh the NOx emission reductions.

I also noticed an increase in performance, but only slightly.

~CHIM~