Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brakes from a legacy

SubaruJawn

i was just wondering will the brakes from a subaru legacy fit a loyale? or an xt6?

want to improve the brakes on my loyale and xt6. if they fit a xt6 i can get the big brake kit for my legacy and put it on my xt6. my legacy is a 1990-94 generation

They will fit the xt-6 just fine.

you sure about that? I know that XT6 calipers will not easily bolt up to legacy knuckles (Baccaruda used that combo to maintain front handbrake on his 5-lug setup). AND, I know that when XT6 guys talk about getting better rotors, they talk about ones for cavaliers, not other subarus.

you can, however, put legacy knuckles, axles and struts on either the loyale or XT6 (loyale will require XT6 brakes in the rear to match lug patterns all around). which will give you better alignment adjustment, better front strut availability, and much better front brake availability (I will be running '92 legacy front knuckles on my loyale with '02 2.5RS 2-piston front brakes)

problem is, legacies have rear handbrake, so if you replace your front brakes with legacy equipment, you'll lose your handbrake. you can convert to rear handbrake using nissan SX (200 or 240) equipment, though.

subex - all of this info is over at xt6.net, there's a recent thread about brakes.

are you talking about front or rear? fronts can be done. like he said, the legacy stuff has a rear ebrake so if you install legacy brakes you'll have no ebrake. some EJ brakes require larger wheels to clear as well. i think all twin pot calipers require 16" wheels, though i think there's one that will work with 15", although no matter what your 14" XT6 wheels have to go for 2 piston calipers.

legacy stuff is a no-go on the back, won't work, competely different set up.

the only brakes that won't fit under 15's (OEM wheels) is the wrx brakes and bigger...

legacy, impreza, forester, outback, blah blah all fit under 15's...

i am running 2.5RS brakes because it's the biggest brakes that still fit under 15" wheels...

As was mentioned under 15" wheels won't fit an early turbo Legacy (the brakes are oversize, using special (well, different) pads, rotors, and calipers).

early gen turbo legacy's (90-94) come stock with 15" wheels...

they are the same 2 pots found in the 2.5RS... the rears however have vented rotors while the impreza doesn't...

edit: oh wait... you're saying under 15"...

you sure about that? I know that XT6 calipers will not easily bolt up to legacy knuckles (Baccaruda used that combo to maintain front handbrake on his 5-lug setup). AND, I know that when XT6 guys talk about getting better rotors, they talk about ones for cavaliers, not other subarus.

you can, however, put legacy knuckles, axles and struts on either the loyale or XT6 (loyale will require XT6 brakes in the rear to match lug patterns all around). which will give you better alignment adjustment, better front strut availability, and much better front brake availability (I will be running '92 legacy front knuckles on my loyale with '02 2.5RS 2-piston front brakes)

problem is, legacies have rear handbrake, so if you replace your front brakes with legacy equipment, you'll lose your handbrake. you can convert to rear handbrake using nissan SX (200 or 240) equipment, though.

I should have clarified my statement. I meant with the ej knuckle it would workfine.