Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Things I should do while an EA81 is out

I just pulled my ea81 out of my parts car and I can't decide all that I want to do to it. My original plan was to just slap it in the other car and hope for the best because I never heard it ran I didn't want to have to much money rapped up in it if it ended up being crap.

But i ended up getting it started and it ran really good. No knocks, no smoke. It did have some carb issues but that isn't going to be an issue in the other car.

So I know I will do valve cover gaskets. But should I do head gaskets too. Autozone has felpro ones for $14 a piece. Figure you can't beat that. I'm going to do a rear main too.

Does anyone know of a good place to get oil pumps for these motors? That isn't crazy expensive. The oil pumps were the only thing I have heard that go out sometimes. So I figure, might as well.

So what else,

Valve cover gasket

maybe head gasket

rear main

new clutch

front main

oil pump

new water pump

new intake and exhaust gaskets

also do the ea81 head gaskets need to be retorqued like the ea82s after you run them. or do the permatorque felpro gaskets take care of that.

I wouldnt bother with the head gaskets if i were you. Its the EA82s that have the head gasket problems. EA81s are just known for leaking oil from everything. Heres what i would do to it while its out

Rear main

valve cover gaskets

oil pan gasket

oil pump seal/ maybe new oil pump

water pump if it needs it

the water pump was looking pretty sad so i am going to replace that. I forgot the oil pan, I'll add that to my list.

The thought on the head gasket was to just do it while I had everything out. But there is no signs of bad head gasket. Like water in the oil or oil in the water. So I guess I will just not do that.

But i still need a good place to get a oil pump that wont break the bank.

I swore when i looked up one when i was working at autozone was like $200. That's a little spendy if you ask me.

can you do a leak-down test on the engine? the information from one of those can help you decide exactly how far to go in an engine revival project... sometimes it might tell you that new valve seals, or piston rings, or headgaskets would in fact, be in order when nothing else can.

Depends on how many miles are on it currently. If it has higher miles or has sat for awhile, I'd also recommend doing the valve seals along with headgaskets. Granted, they might not be going out now, but after you drop it in and drive it for awhile, you'll wish you would have if they start going out in a few months. So, here's a list of things I would do while the engine is out...

front and rear main seals

headgaskets

valvecover gaskets with the grommets on the bolts

valve seals

waterpump and gasket

oilpump and related gaskets/seals

oilpan gasket

intake and exhaust

new clutch if its in need of replacing

oil filler to block gasket

It would probably be easiest to get an entire gasket set from www.thepartsbin.com or from the bay of E since they can be had for pretty cheap. It will then come with all the related gaskets and more, of what you need. Then instead of having to go back to the store more times then you care to think about, you'll get it all in one lump.

the motor had about 150k on it. low miles in the ea81 world.

I think i am going to forgo the head gaskets and just do some other sealing. my goal is to get it in and running and see if this is really what i want to do with my wagon. you see i have a ej22 sitting on an engine stand too. i just suck with the wiring, so that is part holding me back.

Hey Matt, glad to hear you got the engine running, hope it works well for ya in the wagon if that's where it's going. Good luck with the project.:)

yeah the white wagon is what it's going in so that should work good. Just got to take like 4 cans of degreaser and a pressure washer to that thing. I love finding stuff old owners did, like the bypassed heater core. :lol:

you were right sounds like the carb was being all pukey. but it didn't knock and wasn't blasting any smoke or nasty stuff, so it should work good.

yeah the white wagon is what it's going in so that should work good. Just got to take like 4 cans of degreaser and a pressure washer to that thing. I love finding stuff old owners did, like the bypassed heater core. :lol:

you were right sounds like the carb was being all pukey. but it didn't knock and wasn't blasting any smoke or nasty stuff, so it should work good.

suggestion: use a small amount of diesel fuel or gasoline to loosen the crud before applying degreaser. Lay some cardboard down under the vehicle, too. Try to see if you can get some beer flats from a local convenience store (basically the cardboard "tub" about 2" tall that a case of four six packs comes sitting in) since they have edges, or just cut boxes real short and line them up side by side, to avoid runoff.