Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What are the Common problems with Early Legacys

Ok the GL I was looking at fell through but there is a 91 legacy wagon I have been eyeing, what are some things that I should know about them? Problems improvements from the GLs etc.

Thanks for your time.

(It might take me a awhile to respond I am going to a place without internet connections :eek: )

I own a '91 Legacy wagon as a daily driver and it is pretty much bullet-proof compared to my '86 GL wagon. Axles are much easier to replace and general repair work is easier in almost all cases when compared to the GL/Loyale series. Handling and power are both vastly improved also. Mine is a 5 speed manual AWD transmission; I wouldn't give you a nickel for the automatics. For every 10 early Legacies I see at the local Pull a Part yard, 9 are automatics (might be that there are more automatics to start with).

loving my 90 Legacy LS wagon, AWD, 4EAT.

if AWD, you need to keep up on tires, all the same size, make etc, and air pressure!

If it has the factory air suspension (LS AWD wagon w/auto), might think about doing the coilover swap. the early "climate controls" tend to have some minor issues with solder joints going bad, but that is usually an easy fix.

if the price is right, go for it! they are great cars.

Should be good. Yes if AT check for FWD fuse and torque bind of course (and verify it is an AWD, not just FWD). Also if AT verify that the external ATF filter was installed, or install one yourself. Also once in a while these need some sort of check valve put in the cooler circuit line to the torque converter from draining it's ATF back into the pan.