Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch Junk, yet another....

I cant seem to get my cable just adjusted right, it will feel like I will have it fine for a couple of days and then it will just go back to the way it used to. The pedal will sit about 2 inches below the brake pedal and when I push in I get a real nasty squeak. Nothing seems to work and I have adjusted this thing several times with no permanent solution. Bad cable or what?

I cant seem to get my cable just adjusted right, it will feel like I will have it fine for a couple of days and then it will just go back to the way it used to. The pedal will sit about 2 inches below the brake pedal and when I push in I get a real nasty squeak. Nothing seems to work and I have adjusted this thing several times with no permanent solution. Bad cable or what?

Sounds like you're cable is stretching and ready to give out.

What I was thinking, I had put this thing in about 4 months ago, and never really got it right. Thinking about taking it to the dealership around here and have them put it in. I hate putting these in and would rather just pay them.

There not fun, I had my dad look at it a few minutes ago and he noticed that it was starting to fray up where the cable meets the tits (there is a previous thread where this concept is covered) and he agrees that its being stretched as well. Gonnna call bright and early in the morning.

Went Tuesday and got me a new OEM clutch cable for the brat, me and my dad put it in today and had an instantaneous effect. The hole on the clutch pedal had an oval wore out in it, alot of the rubber pads was falling apart. Took and snagged the appropriate hardware off my white brat and installed the new cable. The oem ones go in alot easier than the goofy autozone one did. Soon as I pushed in on the clutch I had a 110.5% difference. The pedal no sits flush with the pedals, not two inches below them.

Made my day.

It started slipping bad tonight on my way to work. I am about 95% ready to throw down on a factory cable.

unless you overadjusted the cable, e.g. starting to release clutch with no foot on the pedal, a clutch should never slip as the clutch cable only releases the clutch and does not give any clamping force (thats the pressure plate's job). So I think your clutch is on the way out or maybe the autozone one was sticking.

I would adjust it and it would slip so I would have to go out and loosen it. I had almost zero pedal and it drove me nuckin futs. There was all kinds of cable dust (little silver specks) all in the floor board where it was riding against the pedal.