Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got a reply from SOA

I took you guys advise and emailed SOA about my local dealers parts managers comments about both my cars needing junked and not wanting to waste their time to order parts...this is the reply:) :

Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for taking the time to

contact us. I am sorry to hear of your negative Subaru dealership

experience at Colonial Subaru.

On behalf of Subaru of America, I would like to apologize for your

experience. We are sincerely interested in assuring that our customers

receive the best possible service from all Subaru dealers. I am glad to

hear that you are receiving good customer service by Minooka Subaru.

Thank you for bringing this incident to our attention so that we can

document your concerns. I hope that we can restore your faith in Subaru

and our products so that you can enjoy a positive Subaru relationship.

Please let me know how I can be of assistance.

Best wishes,

tell them they should've used thick german steel instead of the tin can steel those japanese got :rolleyes:

Not german, sorry, more like the old french steel! If my dad's '79 Peugot and a '70s Volvo got into a head on collision, the Peugot would win hands down. Its a 4 door mid sized sedan like the Volvos came in but it takes 4 people to push it any sort of distance...:rolleyes:

Am I the only one here with a bit of an ability to tell the national origin of a piece of steel just by the feel of it in his (or her) fingers??

I should specify, since it isnt quite such a broadly applicable talent as I make it sound... I worked as a veterinary technician for eight years. In that time, I developed an ability to fairly reliably guess whether an instrument were pakistani, chinese, american, or german just from the feel and appearance of the metal, and the way the "box" joint on the forceps/scissors/whatever felt like when I opened and closed them. So really, my point was merely aimed at surgical stainless, and my "talent" such as it is, is limited to that... but if I can develop that over time, I figure I may not be alone.

BTW, judging from the older M-Bs, and VWs in the junkyards here.. compared to the Datsuns and Toyotas, and the fords and chevys... I think american iron rusts slowest. I am not trying to beat and proud national chest here, we just used alot more metal when we made out cars... :grin: TOO much more, if you ask me.

Just a point, most of those datsuns and various other nippon autos started out as recycled chryslers, fords & gm products.:-\

Actually, I heard that back in the early-mid 80s and '90s that the japanese were using recycled steel. Not sure if that's an urban myth or not, but I do know that the Japanese invented the casting process (a way to make steel) as opposed to BOF or open-hearth, which is what we were using here for many many years. And in the caster, there are many oportunities for impurities in the steel to not be burned-away.

As far as that letter, I would love to say "Cool!" but it really looks like a generic letter that someone cut & pasted a few hings. Call me cynical but ... Fuji Heavy Industries, Ltd's business model calls for recursion, so yes - they want you to junk that old Subaru and buy a new one. Even if that means they might have some parts lying around that never sold. Back i the lats 70s, Mercedes was actually sending reps out to buy the old mercedes cars and junk them so that there wouldn't be any "crappy looking Mercedes" out there. They felt it was bad advertising.

Not german, sorry, more like the old french steel! If my dad's '79 Peugot and a '70s Volvo got into a head on collision, the Peugot would win hands down.

I showed the newly restored BRAT on Sunday... I got beat by 2 VW bugs and a VOLVO Station Wagon... how embarrassing was that? I can't imagine how the Ferarri driver was feeling being beaten by a Volvo wagon.

As a rule, Japanese cars get little attention/recognition, but THAT really hurt!

Connie, I got the same response when I complained to SOA 3 years ago, it's posted here, I'll find it and give the link. I was pretty darn harsh in my letter... but it still didn't raise any eyebrows or produce any change in dealer attitude :( We can keep trying I guess.

Hey Connie i know its a bit of a hike for you but Premier subaru in Branford CT is a good place to go to get parts for old subarus. The part manager is Warren..a really great guy who loves the older subarus. Ive done my fair share of business over there and he knows me by name. He even had some NOS alloy rims though not complete sets :(. If they were complete i would have bought them.

speaking of rust how come subaru's have built in rust trappers?A brats wheel wells get rusted out because water is allowed to collect behind them.Then I looked at the rear strut mounts for my EA82 wagon-water/dirt still has easy access behind the mounting points and it still is allowed to collect there.Was subaru tring to get them to rust to oblivion?

speaking of rust how come subaru's have built in rust trappers?A brats wheel wells get rusted out because water is allowed to collect behind them.Then I looked at the rear strut mounts for my EA82 wagon-water/dirt still has easy access behind the mounting points and it still is allowed to collect there.Was subaru tring to get them to rust to oblivion?

2 Reasons:

1. Planned obsolecence. If they made the engine wear out before then it would be a GM.

2. The US puts more salt on its roads than every other country combined. It isn't something that is easy to design around when you're not used to having to deal with salt at these levels.

As support to what Benebob says.

The "traps" may exist but with out the salt

or other steel eating chems we'd be fine.

Look at the cars from Wash. OR ect.

Same body, same traps - no salt - makes me wanna cry.

As support to what Benebob says.

The "traps" may exist but with out the salt

or other steel eating chems we'd be fine.

Look at the cars from Wash. OR ect.

Same body, same traps - no salt - makes me wanna cry.

Or you could go across the pond to England and see how well kept their cars are as well living on an island even. They take care of their autos as they cost so much to own and operate. Americans are lucky to wash their cars every 2 weeks and underneath well that doesn't need to be clean does it.:clap:

buy a new one

^ was exactly the reply I got when seeking parts from a local dealership.

I said, "You sell parts and I just bought an old Subaru that needs lots of parts... ummmm, do the math."

My independent parts-seller is great... I think he felt bad for me because it needed sooooo many parts that he sells them to me at shop rate :)