Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Should I Expect EA82 vs EJ18?

So I am picking up a 93 Impreza on Sunday and I am curious what should I expect..concerns...differences..between my 92 EA82 Loyale and the EJ18 of the Imp. The Impreza will probably be turned into a daily driver once a few small issues are address. What are they prone too..common issues??? I know the EA82 pretty darn well and I am getting pretty good with my ER27.

Wow!! Looks like I am finally moving into the New Gen crowd!

the EJ's are bullet proof, the autos some times have problems, but if you have a stick shift you don't have to worry about that, it may be a bit underpowered, but since you're not an 18 year old guy with something to prove that won't be a problem and will give you a bit more fuel econ then the 2.2

EJ18 is just a fun engine. Don't go overboard on tires. I believe 14" tires are standard and with 14's the car has quite a bit of pick-up. With 15" or 16" wheels/tires, the car is a stone. Only difference between the EJ18 and EJ22 is that you'll have to shift down from 5th on longer, steeper hills. All in all my '94 was more fun to drive than my wife's '97 with the EJ22 engine. Also, the EJ18 gets MUCH better gas mileage. I'm glad you're getting this car as a project. I think you'll be pleased. Best of luck with it.

EJ18 is just a fun engine. Don't go overboard on tires. I believe 14" tires are standard and with 14's the car has quite a bit of pick-up. With 15" or 16" wheels/tires, the car is a stone. Only difference between the EJ18 and EJ22 is that you'll have to shift down from 5th on longer, steeper hills. All in all my '94 was more fun to drive than my wife's '97 with the EJ22 engine. Also, the EJ18 gets MUCH better gas mileage. I'm glad you're getting this car as a project. I think you'll be pleased. Best of luck with it.

Thanks Ed...and for the price ( free) I will be able to put alittle time and effort into it...plus with my Loyales days being numbered:-\ along with my XT6 having plans of spending some time with a body shop or fabricator ( new frame rails)..I just culd really use something dependable again.