Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For the Legato.

The Haynes manual lists a few cases where adjusting the transmission band might improve shifting, like if a braking effect occurs between 2nd and 3rd, which is what I feel, I think.

I was surprised to see that it is (they are?) are adjustable at all.

Honestly, I have not heard of an adjustable tranny band since the 70's.

I assume I will start with 1/8th turn adjustments to see what the change is, since the book says not to turn more than 3/4 turn.

Anybody have any experience with these adjustments?

I got a little worried that my crank pully had worn the keyway, since the engine really comes on at 3k RPM, but I changed the cam belt and didn't see any wear there. So I figure maybe messing with the shift points might be the next thing to do.

mpergielelmhurstil99forester97legacyautolegato

Usually you need an inch-lb torque wrench to make the adjustment properly.

Its not really something that should be done in the driveway. It does fall under the heading " you can make things a lot worse ...."

nipper

i've never really heard of people messing with these. but i've read through the FSM's for kicks. sounds interesting. actually in all my years on these boards and in the subaru community (even my 20 year old XT6 4EAT trans has bands), i've never heard of one person even trying to mess with them.

curious to see your results.

i've never really heard of people messing with these. but i've read through the FSM's for kicks. sounds interesting. actually in all my years on these boards and in the subaru community (even my 20 year old XT6 4EAT trans has bands), i've never heard of one person even trying to mess with them.

curious to see your results.

I changed my mind, for the moment. I'm going to replace the front 02 sensor, just on a bet with myself that this thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2492&highlight=hesitation

is a lot of whining.

I notice that my GF's Subie, Which she drives pretty hard, has no hesitation problems. I will bet she keeps the exhaust HOT. Likewise, the reports of seafoam improving response burns off excess deposits. I am a wimpy driver, on my 16mile-45mph-closely-police-monitored-commute-through-seven-West-Chicago- Suburbs.

Any takers on this bet with myself?