Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy Outback Strut Spring Swap, Duh.

I have searched the forum already. I may be dim, but the answer eludes me.

For MY'97 Legacy Wagon Auto AWD, in my case:

Are Legacy Outback Struts a direct fit onto my '97 Legacy AWD wagon, using the original springs?

Specifically KYB GR-2.

These are a great deal, IMO, and they have sold a bunch of them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170125720640

Is the seller OK?

Outback struts will work, but you might want to double check that eBay link. It says they are Legacy struts - not Outback.

I haven't dealt with that vendor, but did get good results with seller jdmwerks on a set of 4 GR-2's. Bought from seller performancepeddler but they sent me one wrong strut though they were good about taking it back.

Outback struts will work, but you might want to double check that eBay link. It says they are Legacy struts - not Outback.

I haven't dealt with that vendor, but did get good results with seller jdmwerks on a set of 4 GR-2's. Bought from seller performancepeddler but they sent me one wrong strut though they were good about taking it back.

Thank you all very much. Right, wrong link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-GR-2-GR2-STRUTS-SHOCKS-SUBARU-LEGACY-OUTBACK-95-99_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33590QQihZ006QQitemZ160129522534

Done bought and done. :clap:

Sounds good. Have you replaced struts before?

I see those are from jdmwerks13. That's where I got mine. I didn't receive any confirmation, tracking number, or anything (which made me nervous), but I did get the struts in good shape in a few days.

Yeah, but I'm getting the new clam-clamp type compressor now. Maybe 2.

Anybody ever replace tie-rod ends, ball joints, or other bits at the same time? (Since I will probably cave in for an alignment, due to the height change.)

I got a clam type compressor from harbor freight. It works well, but I don't use it anymore because it's too bulky, hard to get on the springs, and it's arms are sometimes in the way for the top hats. So I got that kind with the two threaded rods with the hooks/arms from Lisle.

I recently put some lift springs on my Outback and it did throw the camber off. I didn't replace any ball joints or anything at that time. Getting the alignment is the ideal thing to do I guess. At least for the interim, I just set it for zero camber by using a 12" long level against the wheel. It took a few iterations to zero out both sides. Subaru seems to give a fairly liberal camber tolerance though anyway.