Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Philosophical thread- how do you know?

Hi all,

I have been following threads here a long time, learning a lot about my 96 outback, keeping it running, and benefitting from all that I have learned from the board members. I do appreciate all your help as I have enjoyed my Baru! Anyway... the wife is thinking it is time for the Baru to go, but how do you KNOW it is? Mine is a 96 5 spd outback with 240k on it (no rust, only 1 minor ding, shiny paint, with the winter package). At 190k it got a salvaged transmission, new clutch, new timing belt, new water pump so that stuff is good to go. This summer the speed sensor and knock sensor went out....so those have been replaced ($350 for the wife keeping track ;) ) . Now the compresser for the AC is making loud whining noises and is probably on the way out. My shop dude says another is going to run $500 or so. It needs new tires too... Anyway.... wife has suggested the car has done its share of duty for me and it is time to move on... but then.. I am thinking... gee, its a great car and we have done all this stuff... its good for another 100k!!

While I realize that this is NOT the place to look for unbiased answers, I would appreciate any advice/support thoughts from other members and how they might approach this..

thanks in advance!

edit- oops.. also, how do you know what to ask for this car? thanks!

badjer

Hi all,

I have been following threads here a long time, learning a lot about my 96 outback, keeping it running, and benefitting from all that I have learned from the board members. I do appreciate all your help as I have enjoyed my Baru! Anyway... the wife is thinking it is time for the Baru to go, but how do you KNOW it is? Mine is a 96 5 spd outback with 240k on it (no rust, only 1 minor ding, shiny paint, with the winter package). At 190k it got a salvaged transmission, new clutch, new timing belt, new water pump so that stuff is good to go. This summer the speed sensor and knock sensor went out....so those have been replaced ($350 for the wife keeping track ;) ) . Now the compresser for the AC is making loud whining noises and is probably on the way out. My shop dude says another is going to run $500 or so. It needs new tires too... Anyway.... wife has suggested the car has done its share of duty for me and it is time to move on... but then.. I am thinking... gee, its a great car and we have done all this stuff... its good for another 100k!!

While I realize that this is NOT the place to look for unbiased answers, I would appreciate any advice/support thoughts from other members and how they might approach this..

thanks in advance!

badjer

'Tots.

A 96 is barely over 10 years old. The only reason, IMO, to get rid of a car (a good one that is) is if the unibody is compromised, by either rust or damage. My GF disagrees, but our deal was that if she got the Forester, I could drive whatever I wanted, although she woudl not be required to ride in it. Looking for a Fiat128, myself, for a toy.

I have sold cars within the old Volvo enthusiast community, and was pleased to see it go to a good home.

Even if you buy a new car, why get rid of it? Carry minimum insurance, and use it to save putting miles on your new car.

I just did front-to-back AC all new parts for about $900 myself (including $150 shop discharge, evac and charge). I'll be posting that proc soon.

one way to measure if it's time is to compare monthly repair cost to monthly car payment. add in a figure for inconvenience and lost time ofr taking it to the shop.

but i agree w/ uniberp, why sell it. you can always use it as a truck. everyone needs a truck.

make sure the squeal is from the compresor and not the idler bearing or the compressor beraing. i hear those can be replaced pretty inexpensively.

Hi all,

thanks in advance!

badjer

Well, look at it this way, since you like the car:

$350.00 recent expenditure, $500.00 fix A/C, $250.00 new tires. That totals $1,100.00. Can you get an anywhere comparable car for $1,100 ... probably not.

If you get a comparable car, how many months payments would equal $1,100 ... and for how long after that amount is paid out will the payments continue.

Also, if you buy a NEW car, what about insurance cost increase.

Click & Clack always claim it's cheaper to and drive than to replace. If you think about new (or decent used) car payments you're looking at a minimum expense of $3,000 and up ... maybe WAY up. That's a LOT of repairs.

If you like it keep it IMNSHO.

I'd keep 'er. Esp considering the timing belt and all that stuff should be good for a while. At least keep as a beater/backup vehicle. It is very convenient to have a beater/backup vehicle. Those years are known for knock sensor issues, so it's not surprising you had to replace it. If the a/c compressor is going out, you could get one from a salvage yard, pop it in, then get it evacuated and recharged, or do it yourself.

Tires are a maintenance item; I mean all cars need those eventually.

that new timing belt should be good for another 50,000 miles, i'd plan on keeping it another year or two. that should be a good return on that timing belt/clutch investment at least and you can reassess then.

install a used compressor. they are very easy to replace and can be found for $50 (someone on this board will sell you one...i think i even have one). the a/c compressors on that motor are very, very easy to replace. have any friends that can do that for you? very simple job.

[...]The only reason, IMO, to get rid of a car (a good one that is) is if the unibody is compromised, by either rust or damage.[...]
Agreed, a bad enough accident or living where they heavily salt the roads in winter could be reasons to dump the car; normal wear-and-tear can be dealt with as problems develop, as long as parts are available.

Even if you buy a new car, why get rid of it? Carry minimum insurance, and use it to save putting miles on your new car.[...]
Now that I can't completely agree with. I'd suggest that you retain the same amount of liability coverage on any car you drive, limiting only the amount of collision/comprehensive. If you get into an accident while driving an old car, and it's your fault, you're just as liable as with a new one.

I remember reading years ago that you can dump 2500 in repairs per year on your used, paid for car, and still be money ahead over a newer vehicle. It makes sense when you consider depreciation, interest on the loan, and higher insurance. IMHO, if you still like the car and don't mind turning the wrench, I'd hang on to it.

Unfortunately, there is no reason to get rid of the car except for the fact your wife apparently does not like it (or is uncomfortable with the high miles).

You have a known good car that only needs a couple of things to be in tip-top shape. Just about any used car you buy is going to need at least 5-800 dollars to get into tip-top shape from the things that need replaced or that should be replaced because you don't know if the previous owner did. A new car is just flushing money down the toilet with interest and depreciation. The only reason for that is if people want the new car looks or feel. They break too, only the dealership ususally foots the bill for a little bit.

Just keep fixing things as they wear and you will have a beautifully running car for a long, long time. Why buy someone elses did not want to fix items on a different car or be with another payment? Like it has been mentioned, it's always cheaper to keep the car you have.

. Looking for a Fiat128, myself, for a toy...

I just did front-to-back AC all new parts for about $900 myself (including $150 shop discharge, evac and charge). I'll be posting that proc soon.

Be careful of those Fiats! They know how to rust out like nothing else I have ever seen. The engines will soldier on forever but the body (read collapsed shock towers, other suspension mounting points, floorboards, etc.) can become very unstable. Mine had the front crossmember crack almost in half once...terrifying ride! Other than that, they are okay cheap little sportscars. The Pinafarina ones (early eighties) were supposed to be really good but much more expensive and probably worth it. I've learned my personal lesson with Fiats and moved to bmw 325i convertibles. That's a well built and surprisingly affordable conv't nowadays and man does it drive nice!

I'd really like it if you get a chance to post the AC stuff when you're done since I'm going to be checking mine out in the near future. Mine runs cold for about 20 seconds and then shuts off. All I've had time to do is a quick R134a recharge.

Be careful of those Fiats!

I'd really like it if you get a chance to post the AC stuff when you're done since I'm going to be checking mine out in the near future. Mine runs cold for about 20 seconds and then shuts off. All I've had time to do is a quick R134a recharge.

Exactly. But note, Fiat 4 door SEDANS only, a 128, not a 124, unless it is a sedan or TC. Still junk, but weird enough to want.

AC stuff was just posted.