Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newbie to the New Gen Questions

On Sunday I am picking up a 93 Impreza with the EJ18 5 spd from a board member. :banana: . Anything in particular I should address pretty much right away?? I know tmy way around an EA82 and am getting pretty good with the ER27.

Current owner says she is probably in need of timing belts..anything to worry about?? ( like know my other 2 you should always do the oil pump seal and idler pulley and tensioners) .

How much of a job is it going to be to replace the rear shocks? One person told me its a pain.

Anyway..looking forward to getting it and fixing it up for a daily driver

That should be a good daily driver. I"m assuming that's AWD? Other than regular maintenance such as change all fluids and filters, etc that should be solid. Never worked on the EJ18, does that have two 'cam belts'?

Rears struts I wouldn't imagine to be more of a pain than any other Subaru. Provided you have the right tools, spring compressor, flare nut wrenches (or chop out section of strut captivating brake line), etc. Unless maybe it has that air suspension deal.

congrats on the new ride Connie!

Havent done the timing belt on an EJ yet - but it is just one very large belt....

the rear struts can be kind of a pain if the car is a sedan (at least on the legacy they are) top strut mount is located behind the rear seat back - means removing the rear seat, kind of cramped space wise - wagons are much easier to get at.

If it has a rear sway bar, unbolt the bar mounts from the frame - makes getting the bottom end out (and back in) a LOT easier.

also, 10 times faster, and a lot fewer headaches, to cut the flange the brake hose goes thru and bend it out of the way. after removing the clip that holds the hose in place, cut to one side of the hole, and bend back the tab that is created. if you have them, bolt cutters make short work of this, if not, a hacksaw will do the job, just be careful not to cut the hose. pre cut the flange on the new one before installation.

I can provide pics of this if you want them.