Ultimate Subaru Message Board

serious clutch problem

Where to begin. I have an 87 std hatch, I just purchased a import motor it was an automatic, i also have a new clutch kit that has less then 2000 miles on it. The clutch and everything worked fine on my old motor that i took out. what is happening now is. the clutch doesnt fully engage, And when it does it takes 5 or so seconds for the car to start moving, and its really hard to get into gear, and when in gear is almost like im in nuetral, i can rev the motor and not go anywhere like a bunrt out auto. The throw out bearing is new and flywheel is ok all clutch parts are new. anyone now what is wrong, and we tried adjusting the clutch too, and checked the pedel rump roast, and clutch cable????????????????????????????????????

Are you sure everything went in the right direction?? cable attached?? Did you use a good resurfaced flywheel? ( just playing devils advocate...I never had any problems like that with a clutch before..cept on my dirt bike cause one of the springs slipped on install) It really sounds like something got put in backwards ..to me

all was put in right thats the messed up thing. we even took the engine back out again and loked niothing. now it engages but the clutch sli[ps when shifted into gears and i have to go from second to first to oput in first gear and 4rth tto reverse to go in reverse other wise it grinds

I only respond to humorous clutch problems.

Seriously. :banana:

No, okay, seriously.. my only thoughts that could be at all helpful are, maybe there is a flywheel issue? it SOUNDS like an overworn clutch plate, but perhaps you used a flywheel that is slightly thinner? I ask because you mentioned the motor was in an automatic car.. thats the only helpful thing I can come up with...