Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 XT? should i or shouldn't I?

I love my 88, its my rock, so i'm no noob to subies, besides i have an 84 hatch and a 96 OBS, but i'm thinking that i want a wicked wedge, and a guy at work has an 86 XT-Turbo for like 100 bucks because he's too lazy to fix a head gasket.

Anything that is XT unique that i should look out for?

I know the air ride sucks, what struts make it lower? this won't be the offroad beast, i need a street car.

It'll probably get the 5 lug swap at the very least, just to confuse people. :cool:

In other news anybody need a hatch or an OBs? i'll post in marketplace for that stuff.

that's a nice deal. make your decision based on your situation...time, needs, driving, style, likes, finances...etc. i don't know all of that. but in general...i'd pass. they aren't too hard to find and personally i'd rather have an 87.5 XT Turbo or really what i'd rather have (and do have) is an XT6. actually i have both and the XT6 outshines the XT by a mile in my oppinion. if you could use one though, $100 is certainly a good deal.

If the body and interior is nice, I say go for it. Mech stuff can be fixed easy. The air susp can be replaced by any EA82 stuff, no problem there.

But if its something simple to fix, keep it. I think the ride is better, and I have both to compare it to.

Problems to look for....

Hood hinges, they go bad and break. Dont know why, but I've had 2 XT's that did.

The trim bezel around the radio and dash. Its all one piece and a good one can be hard to find.

Wiper assembly. The gear mech dries up (easily greased). If the assembly has lots of corrosion, it might break during removal. Lots of info on this over at XT6.net.

And you know what to look for regarding the engine. Go thru the entire cooling system and make sure its A+ or you will end up with the same problem the PO had.

And another added plus to having a XT..........You get to join another Message Board:headbang:

Because 6 boards arn't enough

not even close....I check 10 every day.

I don't think all XT turbo's got air suspension (either that or the few that I've seen have been converted).

if I had the space, and that opportunity, I'd be all over it. but there's only one XT here in town, and it's so rotted out, it's just not worth it.

Hadn't thought of that, now you have me thinking.

I would rather keep this stock/reliable though

A good EJ will be way more reliable than a 1st gen EA82turbo. I like the EA82 turbo even but It is a fickle hellcat with a heart full of lye. not really I just really wanted to say that sometime. But seriously EA82t=lot's of maintainence, or else....

What do you need reliable for... you have your bike to commute in?

We have my RX as a template... EJ drivetrain for the win. I'll even help keep your wiring spic and span.

Whether you rock it stock, or swap it, its better than the hatch IMHO.

don't get me wrong, i'd much prefer the EJ, but stock seems to be more reliable when it comes to me

No way. EJ's are Waaaaaay more reliable. If the swap is done right, you'll have a trouble free car. An 86 EA82turbo is going to need lots of work. And that's if the heads aren't cracked. And to add to it, do you know how hard it is to find a good Flapper Mafs? Disty rotors? TPS? and more?

Don't get me wrong, if you want to keep the EA go for it. They are still great, but if reliablility is the issue for not doing an EJ swap you got it backwards. (plus starting with a Turbo car makes the EJ swap that much easier, espescially if you do a trans swap as well cause you already have 25 spline axles)

I am going to second the EJ thing :eek: I just got my first EJ and ..though I love the EA82 ( cause I know it so well) I can see that the EJ is a way better design..Both my EA82 and ER27 are both great..but still alot more to worry about...I wont even touch an EA82T ..I just dont have the time money or patience to deal with one...I have read too many posts. My little EJ18 can run circles around my EA82 ..couldnt even imagine the EJ22..but I have heard they compair pretty close to what I get from my ER27

I already have an EJ swapped EA car, don't really see why i'd need another.

No vinyl on this one Robert, its gonna be a show car ;)

spit, sputter.. show car? its BEGGING for an EJ!!

*I* am begging for an EJ XT! it REALLY goes to show you how little we think of our soobs as sports cars that it isnt a MUCH more common swap.. the XT was an AMAZING chassis, one of the finest that has ever set tire to ground IMO, and it DESERVES a modern engine.. my entire life (until I got my GL10) i was under the impression that it WAS some fancy pants engine under the hood of the thing (lord knows they cost enough to replace back in 1991....my dad blew his 6 back in the day) Ever since I learned that it was simply a 140 horse version of the same engine i had I have felt that the car needed more chutzpah.

Has anyone done it? just seeing pictures and video of one might be enough reason for me to join xt6.net

Has anyone done it? just seeing pictures and video of one might be enough reason for me to join xt6.net

please, don't show him pics/videos of a EJ-XT! :eek:

;) j/k, if you want to see some, you should visit XT6.net, there are pictures of lazer (among others, he just pops to mind) of his XT with EJ20T, just do a search

next time I have bundles of cash laying around I'm also going to get a EJ, but in the meantime I'll just cope with the EA82T :-p