Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 oil pressure sending unit retrofit

Where is the best spot to install an oil pressure sending unit. I am putting an EJ22 into my 84 brat. It seems as thou I should be able to install the pressure sending unit from the EA81 engine so that the gauge in the brat still works and also maintain the EJ22 oil sensor for the ECU. THX Bret

Sometimes there are other ports. Nipper might know since I think he used one of these ports for his gauges.

If you go out to a tee, the thread on the block for the pressure switch is 1/8" bspt (british standard pipe taper thread). 1/8" npt will start to thread in there but it is not the right fitting and could leak. You can get adapters from mcmaster.com or other places.

Sometimes there are other ports. Nipper might know since I think he used one of these ports for his gauges.

If you go out to a tee, the thread on the block for the pressure switch is 1/8" bspt (british standard pipe taper thread). 1/8" npt will start to thread in there but it is not the right fitting and could leak. You can get adapters from mcmaster.com or other places.

Now you tell me, as i havent done mine yet.

nipper

Like Nipper said the oil sender unit does'nt connect with the ecu but with the oil pressure idiot light. I installed my oil pressure gaugne on one leg of a T fitting with the sender on the other one so the idiot light keeps working.

Like Nipper said the oil sender unit does'nt connect with the ecu but with the oil pressure idiot light. I installed my oil pressure gaugne on one leg of a T fitting with the sender on the other one so the idiot light keeps working.

Did you install that in the Legacy in your sig? I came from an old school 'roo and got used to watching the oil guage to know when I needed to add oil :) Now have a 90 legacy wagon and an idiot light.

I was thinking of adding a guage, but was wondering if someone has a clean-looking aftermarket oil psi guage that won't look completely out of place on my dash.

Did you install that in the Legacy in your sig? I came from an old school 'roo and got used to watching the oil guage to know when I needed to add oil :) Now have a 90 legacy wagon and an idiot light.

I was thinking of adding a guage, but was wondering if someone has a clean-looking aftermarket oil psi guage that won't look completely out of place on my dash.

Yes my gauge is installed in my 96 Legacy Brighton wagon mt. But I will not be able to help you find a «clean looking gauge» cause mine is IIRC an «Ultra Pro» gauge from NAPA and is mounted with velcro on the left side of the center console just above and to the right of my right knee... I installed it with copper tubing but I think you can find steel meshed nylon tubing which is as strong and a lot easier to thread through the firewall and other obstacles.

Good luck.

was wondering if someone has a clean-looking aftermarket oil psi guage that won't look completely out of place on my dash.

Here's some autometer gauges in my '96 brighton and some cyberdyne in my '00obw...they might not meet your won't look out of place criteria though....

gauges96.jpg

cockpit-front-1.jpg

Here's some autometer gauges in my '96 brighton and some cyberdyne in my '00obw...they might not meet your won't look out of place criteria though....

gauges96.jpg

cockpit-front-1.jpg

Hope you dont forget to look outside once in a while;)