Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Doing Some Bonding With my Newbie

I was just cleaning the interior of my new gen( OMG! a New Gen! ) 93 Impreza..it was a bonding moment..taking inventory on what she needs and assessing the rust and getting a game plan on how to fix it...couple questions..

1. Are there any hidden spots to check out for rust?

Her underside is sooooo rust free ( compaired to what I am used to) just a tiny bit on the corners of the rockers and the rear quarters right above the plastic bumper cover.

2. Her hood is toast..not worth trying to patch..up to what year hoods would fit? Maybe from a sport model??

3. would the grill need changed to match the year hood?

4. Do these just have normally sloppy shifters or do the same plastic bushings go bad like on the EA82s and older?

Sorry for the noob questions but I am going to hurry to get Pheebie on the road cause I think I have a new home for my beloved Loyale wagon who I hate to give up but he needs more than I can give him now.

The headlights and grill changed in 97 or 98, but the hood should still work for you. obs or rs hoods will have the scoops and stuff if thats what you wanna go for.
I couldn't remember it the headlamps and grille changed shape or just design in 98.

1. Are there any hidden spots to check out for rust?

just a tiny bit on the corners of the rockers and the rear quarters right above the plastic bumper cover.

Hey Bucky

I've had many rusted and non rusted EJs... take care of those rust spots on the rear quarters and the corners of the rockers, they tend to spread rather quick, specially where you live, winter salty roads are a killer. I just picked up a legacy with some rust on it and i am doing body work on her right now, so gime a call if ya need some tips, PM me for the number

cheers

Neo

I dont shy from too much rust..unless it is structural..just look at what I did to my XT6..( rockers gone both fenders bad one rear quarter shot both sides in the trunk gone...and now I show it)

I am going to work on a couple mechanicals before I start the rust work...going to swap out the suspension and it needs either a new gas tank or this one repaired.

I was suprised at the lack of rust..since she is a NY car.. For what I paid for her ( nothing nada ziltch zip) I think she is worth dumping a couple hundred into.

Neo...how you liking this New gen stuff anyway?? :grin:

Neo...how you liking this New gen stuff anyway?? :grin:

well ya know i've always been into the 90+ EJs, I love it! i cant say i know "everything" about them but its enough not to need a mechanic ever! :lol::grin: and parts are easy to come by too, remember.... knuckles, steering parts, brakes, cv axles and most engine parts are swapable between legos and imp, i think even control arms are the same in the front, just watch out for lego turbos they have bigger brakes...

now the question is... are you liking it? or is it a little scary?

:lol:

now the question is... are you liking it? or is it a little scary?

:lol:

I only drove her home..havent really started working on her yet..probably going to wait till after the Dragon meet... I really like her..Not as scarey as my XT6 was when I got it thats for sure. Might start the suspension swap this weekend..someone is giving me a full set of KYBs Thursday. Need to get some FSMs of find them on pdf and I should be ok. I will still have my XT6 for old school and will be looking for a rust free lifted EA82 wagon 4WD 5 spd in the future.....for offroading.

My EJ18 has 226K on the clock..can I expect another 100K out of it?

My EJ18 has 226K on the clock..can I expect another 100K out of it?

Absolutely... the only concern is the clutch, i just got a legacy with 170k auto and i'm expecting another 150k the least without any problems...

the early ejs up to 96 are extremely reliable, they are non-interference engines, make sure you do a timing belt, front seal and water pump job on it before putting it on the road, it surely will save you some headaches :-p

What kind of sloppy is the shifter? (Interesting question... :grin: ) Is it very vague in-between gears or does it have a lot of lateral movement while in gear or does it flop around in neutral? All can have different, but easy to fix causes. There might be bushings -missing- in the shifter, the centering spring might be long gone and it definitely needs a new tranny mount by now. Tranny mount is like a hidden jedi master trick for making your car feel better. Very few people do it, but its night and day difference - especially if you put in the Group-N piece. Its easy to do, you have more than enough skills to replace it yourself.