Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just some tune up questions

i got the front wheels off right now and i wanted to fix some thing....trouble is that i dont know what or how to fix it.first of all my steering is really touchy(power steering Ea81) and i was wondering if that has anything to do with arms, tie rods ..whatever. next i have a set of new brake shoes and i have some pads that will work....how to change the front brakes? and just further imput on adjusting the valves(just did an oil change) i have an adjuster tool too...thanks -Dalton

You have to spin in the piston on the front caliper, needle nose pliers work well for that, be careful that you don't rip skin, my calipers usually go back in red :dead:. Also take the cap off the resovoir it makes turning it in easier, don't forget to push as you turn.

for the front suspension check that your sway bar is still hooked up on both sides, and check the connections of everything, make sure that your ball joints are tight and that your tie rod ends are too, and check that radius rod plate at the rear with the 21mm nut.

describe the power steering issue. the steering rack bushings cause the steering to feel delayed, or drift...and they are very easy to replace. probably some good info on here already about power steering issues.

yeah thats kinda what i feel i dont have a dominant control....expain to me where these "bushings ' are (im a noob) and how to replace them

I have one of the tools to rotate the piston back into the caliper, but its almost easier to use a large pair of flat nose pliers (or at least wide nose) to turn it. Channel locks have worked well for me in the past along with vice grips. I'd say give me a call this weekend if you need help but I'm pulling and resealing the engine on my new 87 wagon.