Ultimate Subaru Message Board

for the people who have done the ej22 swap for street use

There are some people who have turboed the n/a motor, the general concensus is that they handle about 10~ psi pretty well, without much to support it. I'd look into bigger injectors, ej22t pistons or aftermarket, and at the very least an ecu for an ej22t with the added sensors or aftermarket, just to be on the reliable side of things.

But low boost like 6-8 psi should be perfect for this motor with no real problems

There are some people who have turboed the n/a motor, the general concensus is that they handle about 10~ psi pretty well, without much to support it. I'd look into bigger injectors, ej22t pistons or aftermarket, and at the very least an ecu for an ej22t with the added sensors or aftermarket, just to be on the reliable side of things.

But low boost like 6-8 psi should be perfect for this motor with no real problems

yep, that's a pretty good synapsis.

FWIW, the stock EJ22e makes an EA car scoot in a serious way. it's amazing how the torque curve really makes it scoot.

I've been driving my stock EJ22e-swapped loyale for almost a year now. and 2nd gear puts an ear-to-ear grin on my face EVERY time. now I'm delivering pizzas in it....and still love it to death.

that being said, I intend to throw about 5 psi of belt-driven boost at it late this summer/fall, and see if the ECU can compensate. if not, I'll wire in a PP6 piggyback ECU, and tune it myself

there's a guy here in MN that's been driving his '97 impreza L EJ22e with 230k miles on it for 10 months with a WRX TD04 turbo, WRX TMIC, and EJ22t injectors (no engine management mods, or engine work). daily driving it, with zero issues. He's a little crazy, so I wouldn't recommend going THAT far....but it does show you just how tough these motors are!

there's a board member on here, i've seen him personally this year, but haven't seen him on the board much at all. he turbo'ed his NA EJ22 (but it was still in his impreza OBS). he raced it and did very well. he removed all the turbo stuff years ago and is still driving the vehicle. he always comments about how well that car did and it's still running great. i don't know specifics though on the turbo set up or psi. he mentioned that his EJ22 was easy, i believe there is an easily accessible oil port for supplying the turbo, but i never understood where that is.

has anyone put a turbo or other performance parts on these motors? i mean like what kinda hp am i lookin at and how far have yall gone? if a turbo whats the psi?

Do you already have the EJ22 swap and it's not fast enough? I'd think that just putting an EJ22 would be so much more power than an EA series engine, in a much lighter body than a legacy, that you'd hardly need MORE power. Hopefully I'll see soon when I get an EJ22 in my '82 wagon.

Z

i believe there is an easily accessible oil port for supplying the turbo, but i never understood where that is.

I haven't heard of anything like that...but when we did my buddies car, we put a T fitting on the oil pressure sender, and then he welded a port right onto the oil pan for the return. and then he used the heater core lines for coolant.

I haven't heard of anything like that...but when we did my buddies car, we put a T fitting on the oil pressure sender, and then he welded a port right onto the oil pan for the return. and then he used the heater core lines for coolant.

Thats the best way IMHO to get the oil and coolant where it needs to be.

so if I snagged Monstaru's unused EJ22T crossover pipe, put it in my wagon under my N/A EJ22, and threw an RHB5 on top of it, I'd not really have anything to worry about? :grin:

You will need to either get a ea82t crossmember, cut and weld a scallop into your n/a crossmember, or use a 96 up ej25 y-pipe and a custom made uppipe to get the gasses to the turbo itself. But thats the hard part.

are there any reasons why people don't do ej22t swaps right off the bat??

same reason you don't start out with the Kurt Cobain dose of heroin... Power is addictive, but you start out with baby steps before you unleash the monster.

Have you looked at the price of an ej22t lately?

bingo! And the only way to truly take advantage of a closed deck motor (i.e. the only reason to cough up the cash) is with a full build, hundreds of dollars just in machine-shop costs, pistons, rods, WRX heads, standalone EM, etc. etc. etc.

AND, the power to weight ratio of an EJ22e-swapped EA car is probably pretty comparable to a Tleg.

if you're going to start with a better power plant, you might as well start with an EJ20G or the like (which a few people have done)