Ultimate Subaru Message Board

time to rebuild tinys power house

Ok so i know this has been a lond time coming. I was on my way to wcss9 last weekend with tiny and the temp shot up it usualy dose on the free way but it kept going then it hit the red and so i pulled over and checked it out nothing was leaking and it was full on water (filled it befor i left) so i had to turn around and go get the turbo car. made it to the show but thats an other story. Any who i decided to rebuild his engine. went to napa and for 91 bucks i got a compleat gaskit set heads intake carb,exaust,water pump valv guide seals and all the little o rings to hoses and such. so i am seting to have him ready for the trail by sat morning will keep posted. PS any one know a good way to blow out the water jackets on an ea82. i was thinking some good cleaner like in a spray can or a jug and pur it in a bucket and set the heads in it and let it eat all the calcium build up and all.

unless your gasket set included fel pro permatorque (or subaru OEM) head gaskets, and subaru OEM intake manifold gaskets, you need to source those.

IMO, the head gasket set isnt worth it, since a pair of FP perma torques can be had for 40 bucks shipped from autozone.com and the OEM mani gaskets about 10-15 shipped from thepartsbin.com thepartsbin also has the metal reinforced cam case o rings.

REALLY, outside of that, water pump, oil pump (replace or reseal) and timing belts, T-belt tensioner/idler bearings (easily sourced at a bearing supply store, much cheaper than auto parts sellers) along with any oil seals (might as well) would probably be about all you need.

yeah i got the felpro set im goin through and redoing it all. the only thing i want to come out of that engine on a regular basis is exaust and Horse Power i want to be the first to have a soob that dosent leak oil or any thing els for that matter. but then again isnt that how you know its working ah ha ha ha .:burnout:

yeah i got the felpro set im goin through and redoing it all. the only thing i want to come out of that engine on a regular basis is exaust and Horse Power i want to be the first to have a soob that dosent leak oil or any thing els for that matter. but then again isnt that how you know its working ah ha ha ha .:burnout:

Well, I would STILL HIGHLY recommend buying the OEM intake gaskets and cam case o rings... along with 99% of this forum. Most people find that even fel pro intake gaskets blow out about three months after doing them; and as I said it will cost you total of fifteen shipped for all four pieces (2 gaskets 2 orings) shipped from thepartsbin.com

And, I hate to burst your bubble, but you aren't the first person to do the TOTAL reseal.. I'm not bringing that up to rub your face in it or anything, but rather to tell you that alot of the people who do the "full reseal" seem to wind up blowing intake manifold gaskets again a month or two down the road... because they went with the gaskets in the kit.

Honestly, the importance of using a Subaru OEM intake manifold gasket cannot be emphasized enough. You should do that; did i mention they are available from thepartsbin? :grin:

lol OK OK OK so i will get the OEM intake gaskits lol so now i will continue with what has put a sad spot in my heart tiny will no longer have his own engin insted it will come from his parts car i was pulling the engin apart today cleaning and pulling stuff off and rump roast i was pulling the plugs i found that one was bashed up :( first thing to start the bad to worse so i was worried i kept pulling and this is what i found after i got the heads off :( but then again thats why i love soobs it ran like this for 10 miles to get me home. CARNAGE9.jpgCARNAGE6.jpgCARNAGE1.jpg

WTF???? Looks like the valve retainers came loose and the valves fell into the cylinder and got pulverized ??????? I've never seen that before (on a subaru at least). It wasn't making any horrible noises? Then again, my friend lost a rod on her EJ22, and it was still running on 3 cylinders after punching a hole in the block.

Good you've got a parts engine.

Z

Zowie!! THAT is not something you see very often.. a EA subaru piston with valve impact marks.. take lots more pictures, to document this ultra-rare phenomenon. :grin:

Good to see you took my posts in the right spirit, i was trying to be funny in my obscure way. Good luck with the parts motor.

On another note, though, if you were in need, and one head was alot easier to come by than a whole engine, couldnt you just buff that piston damage out?? I mean, use a scotch brite pad until you have eliminated anything but prominent peaks and valleys, then carefully file those down, and scotch pad it again, and re use that bottom end? I cannot imagine it would detract TOO much, although it is super ghetto.. just curious.

no time no time no time. lol gotta get it done the other car has a good block and pistons and i have a good set of heads and im just gonna use the acc. from tiny and build the parts cr motor then cleaner painter and droper in. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Rob:burnout:

Rare, but dropped valves happen-

72Engine001.jpg

This is the 390 from my 72. Valve snapped at almost 6500rpm, it overrevved when it broke a motor mount and pinned the throttle open.

Also cracked the block so bad you can see daylight through it. I found the valve hed in the oil pan.

Rare, but dropped valves happen-

This is the 390 from my 72. Valve snapped at almost 6500rpm, it overrevved when it broke a motor mount and pinned the throttle open.

Also cracked the block so bad you can see daylight through it. I found the valve hed in the oil pan.

Yah, but thats not an EA subaru engine! I've seen smacked pistons before (my machinist friend uses old pistons as ashtrays, an EXCELLENT idea) and I have seen pics of subaru pistons that got whopped by a valve.. but since its a tolerance engine, it is rather rare to see that happen.

Nice pic tho :) always nice to see engine carnage.

On another note, though, if you were in need, and one head was alot easier to come by than a whole engine, couldnt you just buff that piston damage out??

Is this a joke? Please tell me this is a joke. That piston has bit more damage than "buffing" will take out. And if you've ever held one of these pistons the tops are pretty thin.

Plus there is the damage to the cylinder wall from all that metal flying round. I'll bet those rings are toast.

I personally hate throwing away rebuildable motors, swapping in some cheap used one rather than rebuild. But this is one case where I would actually say "get a new engine"

Is this a joke? Please tell me this is a joke. That piston has bit more damage than "buffing" will take out. And if you've ever held one of these pistons the tops are pretty thin.

Plus there is the damage to the cylinder wall from all that metal flying round. I'll bet those rings are toast.

I personally hate throwing away rebuildable motors, swapping in some cheap used one rather than rebuild. But this is one case where I would actually say "get a new engine"

for starters, no, I have never seen one of these pistons.

Secondly, I couldnt notice any block damage; I cant see any cylinder wall damage, it looks pretty mirror smooth to me.. and I guess i just didnt notice the scope of the piston damage from the picture at first.:rolleyes: It was hard for me to tell how nasty it was; I was curious.

Thirdly, hey, eff off :-p (joking)

for starters, no, I have never seen one of these pistons.

Secondly, I couldnt notice any block damage; I cant see any cylinder wall damage, it looks pretty mirror smooth to me.. and I guess i just didnt notice the scope of the piston damage from the picture at first.:rolleyes: It was hard for me to tell how nasty it was; I was curious.

Thirdly, hey, eff off :-p (joking)

OK. I asked because I really thought maybe you were joking. It wasn't a slam at all.

The walls of the cylinder could look good to the eye, but the rings are surely worn from all the aluminum oxide particals that must have been made by that head getting ground up. (aluminum oxide is great for media blasting)

yeha the cylinderwalls where toast and after pulling the block apart it just wasent worth keeping. so i got the other engine(the one that runs) and i just pulled it apart and am in the process of cleaning and resealing it :) also it will be geting a weber for kinda like a new heart so cents in puting a crapachi on a fresh resealed engine thats like giving a newborn baby a smoke :dead: morbid i know but eh

OK. I asked because I really thought maybe you were joking. It wasn't a slam at all.

I figured as much, i was responding in like kind

The walls of the cylinder could look good to the eye, but the rings are surely worn from all the aluminum oxide particals that must have been made by that head getting ground up. (aluminum oxide is great for media blasting)

The question was motivated by an inability to judge from the photo for myself.

I was asking "could it run again" in the terms of say, Junkyard Wars.

besides, its a three main boxer.. it should run even if theres holes in the pistons, just because it is *so* balanced. :lol: