Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I get a little random feedback through the steering wheel. I suspected a worn rack, or possibly tie rod ends, but then I came acroos this.

Anybody know what he's referring to in the answer? I left my shrowds off, temnporarily.

From: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Subaru-Repair-831/Subaru-power-steering.htm

"Subject: Subaru power steering

Question

Hi - I recently had my 2001 Legacy wagon in for timing belt and other belt repair. We picked up the car Friday night after the shop closed and the power steering didn't work very well; the pump was making groaning noises though the fluid was well within range. The shop says the pump is gone and the timing of it coincidental. I'm skeptical. The pump and steering were fine before we brought the car in and it suffered a total failure all at once?! Is this possible?

The fact that it looks to be impossible to get to the timing belt without removing the Power Steering Belt (or maybe the pump itself?) adds to my skepticism.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Joe

Answer

The shop is wrong, I have seen this so many times if i had a nickel for every time I saw it i would be very well off.It is going to be hard to describe but what is happening is air is being sucked in as a result of improper belt shroud installation.

if you want to call me at the shop I can pin point the fix for you over the phone.

Justin

All Wheel Drive Auto

425 828 3600"

I don't know what he means by belt shroud allowing air to get sucked in, but weird things can happen if air bubbles are present in the system. Not sure why they would touch that for a timing belt job though.

What year vehicle are you having this issue? There have been a few TSB's for various years about feeling like a knocking/clunking in the steering wheel in turns when going over bumps. It says that's normal. Or there are some hose clamps that can be removed or if that doesn't correct it different power steering hoses.

I don't know what he means by belt shroud allowing air to get sucked in, but weird things can happen if air bubbles are present in the system. Not sure why they would touch that for a timing belt job though.

What year vehicle are you having this issue? There have been a few TSB's for various years about feeling like a knocking/clunking in the steering wheel in turns when going over bumps. It says that's normal. Or there are some hose clamps that can be removed or if that doesn't correct it different power steering hoses.

I notice it in the 99 Forester L.

Thanks for the tip. I will check for a TSB.

Well it doesn't say anything about Foresters but who knows.

Steering - Knocking/Rattling Noises

NUMBER: 04-09-01

DATE: 08/15/01

APPLICABILITY:

1995-2000 MY Legacy Vehicles

SUBJECT:

Steering Knocking/Rattle Noise When Turning

If you should encounter a knocking or rattle noise from the vehicle steering system please use the procedures below to diagnose and reduce or eliminate the noise. The noise is usually heard when turning and going over a bump in the road such as when turning into a driveway. Please keep in mind that while the noise sounds the same, the cause (and ultimately the repair performed) is different between 1995-99 MY Legacy and 2000 MY Legacy.

EXPLANATION OF MECHANISM AND CAUSE

The power steering assist is created using hydraulic pressure. This pressure is generated by the pump and then distributed through valving on the steering rack, to the appropriate side of the rack. There is always pressure on both sides of the rack, in order to provide quick steering reaction and a positive feel.

When the steering input is negative, that is, straight driving, the fluid is basically just circulated for lubrication, while maintaining equal pressure. When the steering wheel is turned, hydraulic pressure is greater on the input side, while some residual pressure is maintained on the free side of the rack.

When turning the steering wheel, even slightly, on rough roads, or especially when entering a driveway over a curb, the tires will input a reactive force through the rack, caused by the impact. This causes the hydraulic pressure in the input lines to force back against the residual pressure in the free side lines. When the higher pressure hits the lower pressure, knocking noise is generated.

While some customers may object to this noise, it does not harm the steering system or any of its components. This noise can be reduced or eliminated by following the procedures below.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1995-1999 Model Years

If you should encounter the condition on a 95-99 MY it will be necessary to install a Steering Universal Joint With Damper. The Steering Universal Joint with damper are available in two lengths as shown.

These parts are available through your normal parts channel. Always check the part number suppression for any changes.

After installing the new Steering Universal Joint with damper using the procedures in the appropriate service manual, it will be necessary to drive the vehicle to confirm the correction.

2000 Model Years

If you should encounter the condition on a 2000 MY, it will be necessary to install a set of Modified Power Steering Lines.

This kit is available through you normal parts channel. Always check the part number suppression for any changes.

After installing the Modified Power Steering Lines using the procedures in the appropriate service manual. It will be necessary to drive the vehicle to confirm the correction.

WARRANTY INFORMATION/CLAIMS

For vehicles within the warranty period, these repairs can be claimed using the warranty information shown.

Question

Hi - I recently had my 2001 Legacy wagon in for timing belt and other belt repair. We picked up the car Friday night after the shop closed and the power steering didn't work very well; the pump was making groaning noises though the fluid was well within range. The shop says the pump is gone and the timing of it coincidental. I'm skeptical. The pump and steering were fine before we brought the car in and it suffered a total failure all at once?! Is this possible?

The fact that it looks to be impossible to get to the timing belt without removing the Power Steering Belt (or maybe the pump itself?) adds to my skepticism.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Joe

Answer

The shop is wrong, I have seen this so many times if i had a nickel for every time I saw it i would be very well off.It is going to be hard to describe but what is happening is air is being sucked in as a result of improper belt shroud installation.

if you want to call me at the shop I can pin point the fix for you over the phone.

Justin

All Wheel Drive Auto

425 828 3600"

Seems like someone has gotten into my pain pills .....

nipper

I get a little random feedback through the steering wheel. I suspected a worn rack, or possibly tie rod ends, but then I came acroos this.

are you trying to fix yours? what do you mean by "random feedback"? have a look at the steering rack bushings, though they shouldn't be anywhere near going bad yet.