Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another possible engine/ met a rally guy

Hodaka Rider

So, this lady and her husband came to look at a car I have for sale. He seemed interested in my Loyale, so we talked for a bit. Turns out he's a rally guy (used to be with Patrick Richard/Rocket racing), and he's building an Impreza with a Legacy 2.2 turbo engine right now. Anyways, he has a full '97 Imp parts car and said I'm welcome to the engine/wiring/ECU if I'm interested. Is this still a Gen 1 EJ-22? Is it still a pretty straight forward swap?

So, this lady and her husband came to look at a car I have for sale. He seemed interested in my Loyale, so we talked for a bit. Turns out he's a rally guy (used to be with Patrick Richard/Rocket racing), and he's building an Impreza with a Legacy 2.2 turbo engine right now. Anyways, he has a full '97 Imp parts car and said I'm welcome to the engine/wiring/ECU if I'm interested. Is this still a Gen 1 EJ-22? Is it still a pretty straight forward swap?

Nope, that's an OBD-2 EJ22 and is a bit more involved than swapping in a '90-'94 Legacy ECU & EJ22E. Most auto manufacturers switched over to OBD-2 in '95-'96 which included a few additional sensors and more emissions equipment. I'm not saying it can't be done, and I'm sure some on this board have done it, but it's not the "traditional" EJ22 swap.

Well, apparently the OBD-II is not a huge issue if you have the whole donor car - maybe a little more wiring. My main question is if this is still a non-interference, highly reliable Ej-22.

yep, Phase II didn't start until '99

it'll have single port heads too (higher flow than dual port, but fewer aftermarket exhaust options).

if its obd-2, then just make sure to get the entire harness if you can. not really that much more trouble than obd-1. just make sure to either run the cats or get some kind of mechanical cat simulator for the second o2 sensor, otherwise it will give you a constant check engine light and possibly run like crap/ limp mode.

no matter what head design it has, borla makes headers for it. either way, they sound awsome. i would reccomend no larger than 2.25" exhaust from the headers back. seems to be the best sizing for low end and top end balance of power and torque...

either way, thats a great engine set up to run with if you have everything to swap it over, very reliable and has a great powerband.

Any numbers to back up the flow differences?

no numbers....but I've seen them side by side, the valves in the single port heads are noticeably different. I'll look around on NASIOC and the like for any documented differences.

Well, apparently the OBD-II is not a huge issue if you have the whole donor car - maybe a little more wiring. My main question is if this is still a non-interference, highly reliable Ej-22.

The local independent Soob shop here in Anchorage swears up and down that the later 2.2's are interference.

The local independent Soob shop here in Anchorage swears up and down that the later 2.2's are interference.

they are. phase II EJ22's didn't start until '99, but the phase I's were interference starting in 1997.

yes, borla makes headers for them, but they're rather rare. and there aren't any cheap immitations (which typically don't have the cracking problems that the genuine borla ones do).

they are. phase II EJ22's didn't start until '99, but the phase I's were interference starting in 1997.

yes, borla makes headers for them, but they're rather rare. and there aren't any cheap immitations (which typically don't have the cracking problems that the genuine borla ones do).

if you are looking for borla headers for the 2.2, go to www.nopionline.com, they are the only place ive seen em on a regular basis.