Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea81 power upgrades

crazy D

well i got this Ea81 block downstairs that ive been slowly tearing apart(and ifi ever get the damned thing apart) id like to do some mods to it. i was thinking of a delta cam, some 9.5 comp pistons, and then for the fuel its a desicion between spfi or a weber intake manifold for aircraft ready EA81. id like to know how much hp of each combo i listed (cam,pistons and spfi) or (cam, pistons and weber intake) and...is there anything else i can do....remember im a mechanic noobie and im very poor :dead::grin: thanks for the help -Dalton

All you would truely need from the legacy is the wiring, ecu, and motor. If you have some help you could get it all out in a day and scrap the car.

yeah that would be sweet but i think it should wait.....good offers will still roll along

ok here's another thought to throw into your pot...

How good are you with tuning carbs? I remember you having some issues with the Hitachi and tuning a Weber will be easier but it will still need to be tuned right or else hesitation, poor gas mileage, etc. The SPFI on the other hand, is a basic drop on and go with very little tuning (like timing) but nothing else. If it were me, I'd go with the SPFI over the Weber if you don't feel comfortable with tuning it and get frusterated with not being able to get it tuned right. It took me foooorever to get my Weber tuned and jetted right om my '78 Brat but when I got it, it would smoke the rear tires off without even thinking about it:burnout:

ok here's another thought to throw into your pot...

How good are you with tuning carbs? I remember you having some issues with the Hitachi and tuning a Weber will be easier but it will still need to be tuned right or else hesitation, poor gas mileage, etc. The SPFI on the other hand, is a basic drop on and go with very little tuning (like timing) but nothing else. If it were me, I'd go with the SPFI over the Weber if you don't feel comfortable with tuning it and get frusterated with not being able to get it tuned right. It took me foooorever to get my Weber tuned and jetted right om my '78 Brat but when I got it, it would smoke the rear tires off without even thinking about it:burnout:

yeah true...if i go to the junkyard ad its cheap to get the intake and crap ill probably want to do that...this engine is gonna have more power as an Ea82 but way more reliable