Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear anti sway bar 2005 Outback - busted

Just determined (by looking underneath to find out what was making that "clanging" noise every time I hit a bump) that the rear ant-sway bar on my 2005 Outback has separated from the connecting rods at both ends. Two questions:

1) is it dangerous to drive the car (for me or the car) until I can get it fixed?

and

2) how difficult would it be to fix myself...ie, does it require any special tools, techniques.

Thanks

Hi primoff and welcome! So did the stabilizer bar actually break or did the endlinks break? If the '05 is anything like my '00 it is an easy job, especially if it's just the endlinks that broke.

If the stabilizer bar itself broke, you could look into upgraded aftermarket (larger diameter units). If just the endlinks broke, you could put on aftermarket such as Whiteline. I wrote up my Whiteline KLC044 install here.

You may feel more body roll in turns, especially hard turns, or bumpy roads until it is fixed. Or it may feel a little like a boat. It would be more noticable if you had front stabilizer bar issues. Some earlier Subaru models didn't have rear stabilizer bars.

rearsuspdiagram00obw1.gif

Porcupine73,

Darn fine answer and writeup! Even I learned something.

Primoff,

You may find that getting the endlinks to meet with the swaybar may be easier if you place a jack near the end of the swaybar, to push it up if necessary.

You BROKE the swaybar?!?! :eek:

good job!! i've been trying to break mine for a while os i have an excuse to replace it.....

it should be an easy job, if i remember, it's a 14mm nut/bolt... but that may have been on the impreza.

other than that, you pop the end links off, then the supports , and it's free.

If you have noticed.. the outbacks have a ton of body roll, you can upgrade to a cobb swabybar and get rid of some if you want.

• 4 years later...

Just finished replacing the drop links on both the front and rear swaybars on my '05. What a difference this made ! No more noisy clunks, and the handling is much improved, as well. An easy job - around 30 minutes each corner. I found that the bolts attaching the rear links were more easily accessed by removing the calipers (had to fit some new rear pads anyhow, so did both jobs while in there.)

The small holes in the end of the threaded studs, which accepts an allen key, are sometimes full of accumulated dirt and grease, and therefore not visible !