Ultimate Subaru Message Board

After 265,000 I toasted the engine in my 97 Legacy last week. I went to the yard yesterday to shop for a replacement. I found two 97's both with ~130k. One is a 2.2 for a direct replacement, one is a 2.5. The oil and coolant look clean in both of them. I don't have the time or money to do a HG job before I do the swap.

I know the safe bet is to grab the 2.2...

Anyone crazy enough to sugest the 2.5???

I found a reciept with a name and number on it in the 2.5. I'm gonna call and see if it's his car and if he's willing to fill me in on the history...

Wow.......

That 2.2 sounds like the route ID go. MUCH better chance of it being good "right out of the box" .....blah blah blah. :grin:

A 2.5 would rock for sure, but unless I had the extra stacks%2520of%2520money.jpg

.....I would be skittish.

Very best of luck either way. (I gotta make me a trip to Harrys!):grin:

I personally would go with the 2.2 ..just because we know the reputation of the 2.5..look how long Elle lasted the first time! But thats just me personal opinion;) ..have heard entirely too many bad things about the 2.5

I am pleased with my 2.5, but as you know they require a bit more "love". Since you don't have the time & money to do HG on it, it sounds like the decision is made...2.2s are bullet proof, can't go wrong there-besides the economy is better.:-p

Ok... That's pretty much the decision that I made. Just wanted to see if anyone thought it was worth the risk.

Connie, no good hoods for you :(

John, you wanted a passenger side Legacy mirror? correct?

It will be $5 plus probably a little more than that for shipping??

awesome you found some hotdog! the 2.2 is your best bet. i don't know you, your finances, your situation that well, but i think the 2.2 is a much better fit as far as i can tell.

there's no need to call the previous owner, look at the gaskets. look under the car or under/behind the power steering and you can see the headgasket protruding from the block. a quick look will tell you if it's original or the replacement. most people don't know enough about cars anyway to get an accurate report. they confuse terms all the time. asking yes and no questions is the best way to get bad answers. "was that replaced?" "oh yeah, same time i had the wheel belts replaced.". hm mm, okay, right. did they replace all 5 wheel belts then or just one.....

if your title said "2.5 or 2.2?" you'd probably get more responses from the 2.5 lovers out there. there are people that say 2.5 all the way and that the risk is minimal. and they are nice motors, i like them a lot too. but i like seeing my friends not get hosed more than i like that motor. i've stopped and asked shops before while i was getting parts...they'll have a couple 2.5's HG jobs going on at a time, it's constant business in areas with a lot of subaru's, they are everywhere in WV. and to the guys out there buying blown headgasket 2.5's...like me, trust me, there are way more than there are 2.2's eventhough the 2.2 has been around much longer, i still see gobs of blown 2.5's and still rarely see a blown headgasket 2.2. and the couple that i've see are like 250,000 mile 1990 models with original radiators and such...probably blown due to poor maintenance or overheating. i've yet to see a low mileage, good condition 2.2 with blown headgaskets that i could say was properly taken care of.