Ultimate Subaru Message Board

(EA81T) fan wiring relay CRAZINESS @#$%!!

either the wiring's crazy or I am! Let's find out! (Crikey! Let's get closah!)

I added a second electric fan to my EA81T coupe, where the clutch fan used to be. No problem.

I snagged an A/C relay from a Loyale because I wanted a strong-enough relay that was meant to be used underhood.

The relay energizes with the red/black wire grounded and the green/white wire to power.. I THINK.

The relay's blue wire gets juice and the blue/yellow wire powers the appliance in question.

THE WEIRDNESS:

I have the 2 hot wires all hooked up temporarily to the battery while installing. The blue/yellow powers the fan, which is grounded to chassis.

I have the red/black relay wire spliced in with the car's yellow wire that is grounded by the thermoswitch. (the thermoswitch and stock fan work correctly.)

With the car OFF, touching the green/white to [battery+] energizes the relay.. and the fan runs even though the engine is cool and the thermoswitch is open. ???

With the car ON, touching the green/white to [battery -] energizes the relay (and the fan still works).. ???

Can someone straighten me out here??

fanweirdnesspb7.jpg

The relay wires should be as follows. or at least this is how it was wired for the original AC application

Blue=12v supply, constant(or ignition)

Blue/yellow= 12v out to fan

Red/black= 12v signal(from AC pulser/control unit)

Green/white= ground

What you want to do is wire Blue to constant fused 12v

hook the Red/black to an ignition switched fused 12v so it has power whenever the ign. is on.

Blue/yellow out to the new fans Pos. terminal

And wire Green/white to the wire that grounds when the thermoswitch closes. Make sure you have it hooked to wire that is on the normally ungrounded side of the thermoswitch, so it has no ground until the thermoswitch closes the circuit.

and the fan runs even though the engine is cool and the thermoswitch is closed. ???

Just a note: the thermoswitch is normally open at cool. It closes and completes the connection to ground at around 205 degrees. Fan is supplied with 12v by ignition and only runs when switch closes(hot) and completes ground.

whoops. thanks for this. I know this but the part of my brain that types what I know screwed up. I'm going to edit my original post for clarity.

Just a note: the thermoswitch is normally open at cool. It closes and completes the connection to ground at around 205 degrees. Fan is supplied with 12v by ignition and only runs when switch closes(hot) and completes ground.

Thanks for your main reply as well. I'll repost later with results.