Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2 plugs vs. 3 plugs

Pooparu

I've noticed that some ej22's come with 2 plugs (coming from the motor and connecting to the main wiring harness) and some come with 3 plugs. Why is that? I know it has nothing to do with the transmission (auto vs. manual), the only thing I can see at the junk yard is that the 2 legacy's that I found with the 2 plug system are 1992's.

I reason I'm asking is that the ej22 that I put in my hatch was a 2 plug system and the wiring harness that was installed is a 3 plug system (swapped the intake manifold to make it a 3 plug system) but I can't get the motor to run and I'm wondering if the cam pick ups on the back of the gears are different on a 2 plug system vs. a 3 plug system. It seems more and more that I have a timing issue rather than a wiring issue so by swapping out the cams from a 3 plug system on to my motor might solve my problem, but I have no idea what the plug differences mean.

thanks, earl

The different plugs just seems to be a difference in year. There was a discussion on legacy central about this subject.

I poked around a bit and didn't find the thread so I just posted the same question on that message board.

yep, and the important part from the post above:

"the smallest plug (should be 2 pins tall by 4 long) are ALL grounds. this was part of the problem with my origional install. I saw these grounds, but could not find that connector (my donor legacy had only 2 plugs). I later got another copy of the wiring diagrams, that looked identical, except when referring to these plugs. this diagram only had the 2 plugs, and showed the same ground wire cluster to go through the larger of the 2 plugs. instead of a plug of their own."

You don't need to do anything with the timing gears

I'm getting desperate and grabbing at straws here so I'm going to try everything I can to get this thing running. It might seem like a long shot but maybe in the process I'll find the real problem.