Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hello...........gonna look at 98 outback today................................

automatic , 160,000 miles on it.

two moon roofs ,,,must be special anniversary model?

Any warnings or things I need to pay attention to like timing belts?:rolleyes:

Any replys that help are appreciated.

Is this a dealer or private sale. Private sale could mean all receipts available for a history which is worth it's weight in gold.

Otherwise, check for tourque bind by driving in a tight circle clockwise and counterclockwise and make sure there is no fuse in the FWD socket under the hood and dirty or discolored antifreeze fluid in the radiator overflow bottle for indication of a blown headgasket are 2 that come to mind right away.

drive it a lot, those engines loose headgaskets fairly often (got a couple i could show you at my place). look for signs of overheating. actually...look for new headgaskets, it may have them and you can tell just by popping the hood.

at that mileage 'id want the timing components checked. not just the belt, but the pullies as well should be inspected. many people will just throw a new belt on an be satisfied, that's not good practice for this engine and an excellent vehicle that could easily go another 100,000 miles.

good luck!

Look at the tires. They shold all be the same age. If one is newer then the others, be alert.

Also take the car out to a parking lot. Automatic or manual do the same test. Driver in a tight circle on level ground. The car should be able to propel itself around the circle at idle (or a wee but of gas) ina nice smooth motion. If you feel any lurching, jumping or like a brake is dragging its has TB and will be a 800-1000.00 US repair. This would not condem the car if the seller agreed. I bought mine with TB for a very good price.

nipper

A dealer is going to want at least 5K ( ebay 3K). I would not purchase a Subaru with the 2.5 from a used car dealer that had over 130K. UNLESS some conditions are made. You want a 7 day 1000 mile warenty for any head gasket issues (overheating). Someone just got burned about a month ago on here.

Definitely give it a good going over for all things mentioned incl torque bind and HG's. Figure in if it needs maintenance too, like plugs, wires, filters, fluids, etc. Unfortunately the NYS mandated warranty from a used car dealer doesn't apply for a vehicle that sells for less than $1,500 or whose odometer reading is more than 100,000 miles.