Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my 75 doller diamond in the ruff

ok so i was comin back from a camping trip and i saw a little soob in a feild and i stoped it is an 82 wagon 5 speed gl 2wd no power anything but it was 75 bucks it needs a passenger side fender and bumper on the front also a passenger head and marker light. but it was 75 bucks and i drove it home :banana: i gota set of turob aluminum wheels for it and i am getting the parts like next week.75dollerdiamond5.jpg75dollerdiamond1.jpg

yup fwd what do you think about an ea82 swap with 5 spd duel range :)

i meen i just happen to have the parts laying around:Flame:

(GD, are you ready for this?)

I think you oughta leave the OHV in there, MAYBE swap the SPFI on it but thats all I would recommend. Granted, I have little to no experience with the ea81s, BUT all of what I have read in the last year (and I have read most of it) tells me that the ea81 is no worse an engine than the 82, AND it lacks timing belts that can cause problems, AND the headgaskets are slightly less likely to blow. They should bolt up to the same transmission, right? So why bother swapping the OHC in there?

On the D/R, go for it.

Umm, thats an '83 or an '84 wagon. The '82s had a single sqaure headlight on either side. Good find though!

2WD GL '82s had the quad headlights.

all others had the large rectangular or large single rounds on either side.

82 was last year for red guage markers.

yup fwd what do you think about an ea82 swap with 5 spd duel range :)

i meen i just happen to have the parts laying around:Flame:

I would agree with Daerons suggestion of keeping the EA81 but swapping the SPFI onto it. The EA82 is too wide to fit in there without cutting/hammering the frame rails. They are too narrow by about 2-3 inches to accept the EA82.

Edit: Others are nowq saying that it will fit. I thought I had read about troubles with that swap. My bad

yeah after looking at it i kinda like the little engine how do i do the spfi swap.

also i like the quadlights and the single white markers on the ends. but i am goin to swap in the dr so a 5 speed dr out of an ea82 will bolt up ????? it dosent look like it but then again......lol i like it tho for 75 bucks it is toataly rust free on the rocker panals. and all over the bottom as well.

Rob:burnout:

I would agree with Daerons suggestion of keeping the EA81 but swapping the SPFI onto it. The EA82 is too wide to fit in there without cutting/hammering the frame rails. They are too narrow by about 2-3 inches to accept the EA82.

One of the CO guys, Rick, put an XT EA82 motor in his Gen 2 wagon. It fit fine. I think that's a myth. It was a tight fit though.

I'm with the rest of the guys though. Swap the SPFI onto the EA81 and and put the 5spd D/R.

FYI: You know that the FWD to 4WD conversion is a huge PITA, and you'd need a gas tank to, right?

Nice find. I didn't know the '82 came with dual headlights -- all three I've had -- two GL 4wds, and one GL fwd, had single squares. But the chrome bumper and red guages tell it apart from the '83/84. I'm putting a 5spd dual range in mine (in place of the 4spd dual range) but I'm either going to keep the EA81, or go for the EJ22. If I'm going through the trouble of an engine swap, might as well go big, I figure. I really like the EA81 engine's durability.... not much power compared to the EA82SPFI, but whatever.... no timing belts to break, or skip when I embed it in a snowbank (guess if I had timing covers that would help with the snow.....). $75 is a good price.... I paid $50, free, and $600 for my '82 wagons....

Z

If you really wanna do a motor... Take your spfi pistons, put them in the ea81, and spfi swap it. If you get brave get a reground cam as well. The ea81 is the kind of motor you can kick in the face for years and still have it smiling and asking for more.

Umm, thats an '83 or an '84 wagon. The '82s had a single sqaure headlight on either side. Good find though!

It's got the wrong grille to be an 84, plus the 83-84 4WD cars had plastic bumpers :-P Nice car though, let me know if you need any more parts, I have a crapload of EA81 parts in my shed.

now that is not correct, if you read my comment i said trashwagon5, which had an ea82 engine and ea82 4wd 5spd with ea82 suspension parts as well

and it was a fwd 5spd ea81 to begin with

i only had to cut out around the transmission. the motor will fit fine. but it is tight around the distributor/master cylinder so you will have to remove the disty to install the motor then put it back in.

It's got the wrong grille to be an 84, plus the 83-84 4WD cars had plastic bumpers :-P Nice car though, let me know if you need any more parts, I have a crapload of EA81 parts in my shed.

Hmmmmm lol actualy i do need the pass. and drivers fenders front bumper METAL not plastic u know the 82 stuff also i need a rear bumper what would you charge me.

I Thought I had read this about EA82 into EA81 swap. Perhaps it's an issue with the 70's models? I know I read about somebody having to hammer their frame rails to make something fit.