Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my 75 doller diamond in the ruff

if you are an inventive guy (going out on a limb here, talking to someone with a top mount radiator :lol:) it is a VERY EASY swap to put in a 90 amp internally regulated alt from a ~86-89 Nissan Maxima. (This EA81 came with an internally regulated alt, right?) The casing is a *bit* larger, but on my EA82 it fits good. The inventive part comes in when you have to find a way to put a V belt pulley on the thing, spaced to the right spot. You can't just take the V-belt bits off of your stock alternator and put them on.

Now, I did this on my EA82 with no problems. I found a local auto electric shop that helped me get a pulley for it that fit, they didn't charge me anything. From what I gather, this experience is common; maybe a fiver as a tip to the guy but they have odds and ends like that all over the place. On my EA82 I have the factory equipped AC, so the alternator is on the OUTside of the engine; the only tricky part is that I DID have to put the alternator into place, and then loop the belt over the pulley BEFORE I threaded either mounting bolt on the alternator; with the bolts threaded I couldn't quite slip the belt over the edge of the pulley.

If you do this, go to the junkyard and get the wire harness for the alternator, too. The plug is different, but easy to see how to retrofit the Maxima plug onto your car. (two wires, one BIG one not.) There are two large wires that attach to the back of the alternator; one of them goes into the fusible links. This (should be? someone correct me or support me please :)) the alternator charging wire; it would be wise to completely remove this wire from your vehicle and replace it with a new, slightly larger one. Larger is a good idea, but new is the most important part. Replacing this wire alone often helps cars with "crummy alternators" that have dim lights etc, varying with engine speed, totally overcome their problem and make you feel like a fool for thinking you needed more amps in the first place.

Or yes, apparently you could just bolt in a EA82 unit.

ah ha ha ha ha thanks fro having me read that whole thing just to see that the ea82 alt will work lol ah ha ha ha but any who i went and gota water pump yesterday for this car and when i pulled the stock one off ther was about a quarter inch of play you could wiggle the pully shaft and idk turbine w/e that thing onthe inside is but yeah it was BAD ok thanks D for the info i might go with the maxima and the spliceing and wedging and...... wait no i think i will just put an ea82 one in :lol:

ah ha ha ha ha thanks fro having me read that whole thing just to see that the ea82 alt will work lol ah ha ha ha but any who i went and gota water pump yesterday for this car and when i pulled the stock one off ther was about a quarter inch of play you could wiggle the pully shaft and idk turbine w/e that thing onthe inside is but yeah it was BAD ok thanks D for the info i might go with the maxima and the spliceing and wedging and...... wait no i think i will just put an ea82 one in :lol:

Cool, I just figured I would let you know.