Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clueless here

Hi, I am Lisa and I just bought a 1986 Subaru XT. I have formerly owned a 87 subaru xt gl but the motor was blown and my ex husband traded it off over 10 years ago. I have searched for another one since. (car that is). I want to completely restore it to it's former glory. But first things first. I have a leak in a line that i think goes to my turbo. I think. It is a very small leak in a very small line right toward the front of the engine. The car starts and runs ok, but in the time that it takes me to drive to the gas station, it will over heat, if i get on it. If i just go the speed limit, it does fine. (doesnt overheat). The gas station is 1 mile down the road. The car came with like 6 manuals, but i havent been able to locate that specific line in any of the manuals. (clueless here). Obviously, i am not driving it anymore, until this gets fixed. It only overheats when the turbo is activated. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Searching for "EA82T" and "overheat" will provide you with a lot of reading material; if you see steam or coolant drips, or if you car uses coolant, then you have a leak to be fixed. If your car uses coolant but you don't see steam or drips, it may be an internal issue such as the engine's head gaskets.

If it doesn't seem to use coolant, it probably needs a new radiator and perhaps a new water pump.

You're making the right choice not to drive it until you solve this.

Good luck...

There is a line that supplies the turbo with coolant. It runs from where the thermostat is, under the intake and to the turbo. Theres another line for the intake from the same place. It very small and a pain to replace, but I have seen lots of them leak.

Please go to XT6.net and register. Theres loads of info there for XT owners.

welcome to the world of XT's lisa. whatever you see leaking, remove it and replace it. are you going to be doing the work yourself? if it's in front of the engine, that doesn't necessarily sound like a turbo line, but doesn't really matter. at this point, replacing any hose and clamps you can is a good idea. if you want to restore the vehicle then now might be a good time to replace all the 20 year old hoses and clamps all around the motor.

can you post of picture of where it's leaking?

your engine is an EA82T which is offered in many subaru's during the time period and there is a wealth of information here. keeping in mind that if yours is a late enough model XT Turbo it will have a spider intake which is rather rare and not found on any other subaru (unless it was swapped in of course). in any event, for XT specific info, check us out at xt6.net, it's an XT dedicated forum with lots of XT experience. i've owned about 20 of them. i might add that it's one stellar group of people. i get those midwest states mixed up but pretty sure we have a member or few out your way somewhere.

if you decide to join xt6.net, send me a PM or email with your user name and i'll make sure to approve you and get you rolling right away. i'm a moderator and can push you through, right now we're flitering all new users to prevent abuse.

Welcome to the board. Is the line on the bottom of the blocK? or the top? if its the one on top it is a bypass that lets coolant back into the block when thermostat is closed. We call it the "hose to you know where" here on the board as it is really difficult to change out, but can be done using a Hemostat. The clamps surgeons use

I am a few hours north of you just over the WI border.(Kenosha) I have parts and alot of experience with these cars. PM me if you ever need anything.

Hey!! Another female XT owner!!And you work on it too!! I have an XT6 that I have been working on restoring for about 6 months..can't help with the turbo but I know alot about the regular EA82s and getting to know alot about the EJ27...I have a set of FSMs and may be able to look things up.

Post pics of yours!! This is mine:

moreRockyPics045.jpg