Ultimate Subaru Message Board

To Weber or not to Weber?

Just got my 87 Brat back from the shop and they said I need to have the carb (Hitachi) rebuilt. So If I were to go all through that I was wondering about swapping over to a Weber.

1). Would it pass WA state emissions?

2). Would it work with a factory cruise control or would I have to junk that?

3). Is there a SIMPLE guide out there to show me how all the vacumn lines and crap have to be either rerouted or capped?

Anyone with an opinion please chime in!

Just got my 87 Brat back from the shop and they said I need to have the carb (Hitachi) rebuilt. So If I were to go all through that I was wondering about swapping over to a Weber.

3). Is there a SIMPLE guide out there to show me how all the vacumn lines and crap have to be either rerouted or capped?

I just installed mine in my 82 Brat. All the vacuum hoses can go except for 3 that you need. #1 vacuum hose from the manifold to the Brake booster. #2 Vacuum hose from the manifold to the heater controls. (check where it goes through the firewall on the passengers side) #3 Vacuum advance from the carb to the distributor. I removed the vacuum canister and all the extra hoses and connected all 4 of the large hoses from the valve covers and the air induction system together and routed them to a seperate breather/air filter. The PCV valve hose goes into the aircleaner assembly. I also removed the EGR system and capped it off with a small plate. It's nice and clean with few hoses and has a very noticeable increase in power. I haven't ran it enough yet to get a good idea of the gas mileage but it doesn't seem like it's burning any more than before. If you can find someone close by with 1 already installed looking at their setup will help alot. (I did alot of research at WCSS9 before I put mine in) If I'm wrong about something or missed something someone else please chime in and correct me but that is what has worked for me. Hope that helps, Frank (fshnidiot)

3). Is there a SIMPLE guide out there to show me how all the vacuum lines and crap have to be either rerouted or capped?

The Weber is worth it even if you can't get your cruise control back. More power + better mileage. Plus you get to clean up the engine bay a lot; it just looks cooler and is easier to work in there.

See my thread "Weber jetting at high altitudes". If I had a Weber again, I'd set the main fuel jet a little lean for better mileage and more versatility at altitude--say a 135 jet or even a 130, if that wasn't too lean at sea level. The secondary fuel jet I'd leave at 140 or whatever, it's not so important.

I built an adaptor plate for a 70s era 2 barrel Ford carb, but I'm pretty sure it wont pass emissions (not that I care, there is no emissions equipment left on mine :grin: )I had to custome machine the plate though, but it works great, and it is so simple to put on and tune. Heres some pics

07-01-07_1730.jpg07-01-07_1731.jpg

There not that great, but yeah