Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trip computer?

The XT6 also doesn't have a fuel range button. Thus, why the trip computer works.

FYI: The trip computer will work without a digidash, you just don't get the fuel range function. (I'm thinking XT here, I've never actually seen a non-XT trip computer, and I can't imagine where the screen is)

Then those weren't trip computers. Trip computers only came in cars with digital dahses. There is no way that it can work without the Digidash fuel sender in the tank, and the Analog dash wil not read from the digidash sender.

Now if you're cars were Fuel injected, they would still have engine management computersor ECU. not the same thing.

The ECU is under the steering column, though, and both of my drivers are carbureted, but the Turbo was injected

The XT6 also doesn't have a fuel range button. Thus, why the trip computer works.

FYI: The trip computer will work without a digidash, you just don't get the fuel range function. (I'm thinking XT here, I've never actually seen a non-XT trip computer, and I can't imagine where the screen is)

I think it's in the guage cluster, but I cant remember, and I'm too lazy to get up and go check right now:)

Uhhh... I would have sworn that my dads XT6 had a range button on it before I ever even got my Subaru.. I used to brag about that car to all my car buddies whenever the subject of subaru came up, and the trip computer was one of my big points about it. I MAY be wrong... but I cannot imagine where I got the misconception that it had the Range function before I ever even got my GL-10.

The display on the non-XT trip computer cars takes the place of the clock.

since an analog dash using a digidash sender only registers 3/4 for a full tank, I would imagine that the digi sender has a narrower range of resistance than the analog sender.. Anyone have an idea what the actual resistance ranges are for them?

The only difference between the two units is the resistance values. What you're talking about has to do with how the two dashes "read" the resistance values.

As was said, the analog dash 'works' with the digi dash's sender, it just doesn't read on the dash correctly.

The wiring arrangment is totally different. I really don't think it will work. The analog system measures resistance to ground, The digidah sytstem is not connected to ground at all(other than the dash being grounded, but not the actual fuel sender circuit) I've never tried it, but it seems a recipe for a short cicuit,

The trip computer display in a GL is where the clock is in the center of the dash.

Uhhh... I would have sworn that my dads XT6 had a range button on it before I ever even got my Subaru.. I used to brag about that car to all my car buddies whenever the subject of subaru came up, and the trip computer was one of my big points about it. I MAY be wrong... but I cannot imagine where I got the misconception that it had the Range function before I ever even got my GL-10.

You must've been using your air conditioning...

xt6-trip.jpg

Coolest part of the Trip puter is the outside temp gauge. I am thinking of adding that to my car. Just having the temp display and leaving the button(controls) box out of the whole deal. I don't need the alarm, range, avg. speed etc. and my stereo has a much more reliable clock.

Air conditioning, indeed!

1065568_10_full.jpg

Image from an 86 XT, dug up courtesy of misledxcracker. Trip computer display and controls in the background, and (ironically enough) air conditioner controls in the foreground. Buttons on trip comp, from the white one on the left, are Reset, Avg. Speed, Arrive, Trip, Range, Alarm, Clock... but no outside temp!

Things keep getting curiouser and curiouser.....apparently the trip computers in the XT(6) were just strangely varied in what they did and did not have?