Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I changed the spark plugs today on my '99 2.5 SOHC. Was Surprised to find a film of oil on the plug threads, otherwise the things look normal. Is this typical of these engines or there an issue brewing?

:confused: John

PS. The car does not use a measurable amount of oil between its 3k mile changes.

The oil most likely dripped down to the threads when you took the plug out. The grommets on the valve cover for the spark plug tubes are probably leaking. Do you see any oilly residue on the white body of the plug?

Thanks, but the grommets were replaced last year. I put a little Sea Foam down the PCV recently, that probably wouldn't make any difference with the plugs.

First thing to do is make sure the valve covers are tight.

Next ask yorself:

Is the car smoking

Any oil dripping on the exhaust pipes

Any oil dripping on the ground

Any oil consumption

If the answer to all those are no, i wouldnt worry about it.

nipper

I got the pleasure of doing them on a friends 02 RS about 2 months ago because it was doing the same thing and he freaked when we changed his plugs.

Next Change out I will be doing myself. What is involved? Looks like taking off the valve covers and simply replacing the exsisting seels. That is after I once again remove the air intake, washer reservoir, and coolant overflow,:lol:

It is pretty typical for these seals to leak over time. They compress as you can see in the pic and let oil past them and down into the spark plug hole. It's not overly difficult to replace. Also replacing the valve cover gaskets and bolt hole grommet seals is a good idea if taking them off. I think subarupartsforyou.com lists a 'kit' with all the part #'s for doing this with enough supplies to do both sides. Then you see this, the spark plug tubes of course are the two mortar launcher looking things in the pic.

vc00RH.jpg

Next Change out I will be doing myself. What is involved? Looks like taking off the valve covers and simply replacing the exsisting seels. That is after I once again remove the air intake, washer reservoir, and coolant overflow,:lol:

Pretty much yeah... You'll need 2 valve cover gaskets, 4 grommets, and you might as well do an oil change too in case you get some dirt in there on accident. Honestly, it wouldn't be a bad time to adjust your valve lash as well, while you have it opened up.

Pretty much yeah... You'll need 2 valve cover gaskets, 4 grommets, and you might as well do an oil change too in case you get some dirt in there on accident. Honestly, it wouldn't be a bad time to adjust your valve lash as well, while you have it opened up.

Thanks Brat, but I don't think the valve lash will need attention for quite awhile since the engine was rebuilt within the last 10k. At least I am hopeful. Oil change, definately!

Pocupine: Thanks for posting the cool photo!