Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should I grease the front wheel Bearings

Right now I have the rotors off and I am about to put it all back together, Therr does not seem to be the gobs of wheel bearing grease in there like I usually have in other cars. Is it proper to smoosh a handfull of wheel grease in there before I put the rotors and new pads on , or is it supposed to be so lightley greased. sc

yeah, glop some in there. not too much or you could pressurize the seals and pop them out while tightening the axle nut.. but while doing that, you'll see some squirt out of the opening in the cone washer. tighten the axle nut slower if you're unsure.

Darn it 2 minutes after I gave up on anyone telling me what to do. Then I put it all back together. and Cuda tells me to stuff it full of grease. Next brake job I will reload some grease . thx. sigh ..Oh well.

SC

Then next time wait longer than two hours.

Then next time wait longer than two hours.

OR, wait at least ten, fifteen minutes after you "bump" the thread back to the top. putting the word "Quick!!" in the subject might help as well; it will let everyone know that youve got a question in the middle of a job, and you can always apologize for your haste in the body of your post.

Despite all that, I have to say that it REALLY is best to ask all questions before you get into the job; obviously this couldnt have been done in this case, but my point is that as much help as everyone here has been to me, MOST of the times I was in mid-job and had something "come up," the forum was no big help; you just cant count on the handful of members that are viewing the forum at any given time to even read the thread right away, still less be able to help you. IF you indicate in the subject that haste would be appreciated, you do increase your odds.

Grease never hurts anything.

-Brian

But you do need to be sure that you are adding a compatible grease.... greases with different bases don't mix well, to the point that they turn into sludge with very poor lubricating properties indeed. If you have no idea what kind of grease is already in there, you are better off to either leave it alone, or completely clean all the old grease out (at which point you may as well replace the bearings too!).